n00b question about hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JuiceyJay

Reaction score
Just curious, what is considered double or triple hopped beers?
Is it the amount of times hops are added during the boil or the amount of different hops uses? I made An ipa and added hops three times during the boil and dry hopped during fermentation. What would that classify it as? Triple?
What makes an IPA a imperial IPA?

it's not the number of times you add hops it's the doubling or tripling of the total amount of hops called for in a given recipe. an imperial IPA has a higher ABV (higher than 7% or so) in addition to more hop bitterness, aroma and flavor.

Just curious, what is considered double or triple hopped beers?
"triple hopped beer" is an overblown concept created by the marketing department of miller lite to impress folks who don't know anything about beer. "wow, it's TRIPLE hopped?!? it must be amazing!!!"

so yes, if you added hops 4 times (bitter, flavor, aroma, dry-hop) technically you've made a quadruple-hopped beer - but i certainly wouldn't go around announcing this to anyone. it's not a particularly useful piece of info, and the phrase has been ruined by miller. do you want your beer compared to miller? "gee, it's quad-hopped so it's hoppier than miller lite... so not that hoppy, really".

What makes an IPA a imperial IPA?
an IIPA is a super-strength IPA: higher alcohol & more hops. for the technical description in terms of OG, IBU, etc refer to http://www.bjcp.org/2008styles/style14.php

What sweetcell said. The expression "triple hopped" is marketingspeak only. Most beers are triple hopped - i.e. bittering hops, flavor hops, aroma hops.

Hah! Great info guys, thanks for the link also.
It's bad enough having to share my last name with miller beer :(....wish it were bridgeport.

Don't listen to the above posters...triple hopping a beer is an extremely complicated and somewhat dangerous pursuit in brewing. It is a closely guarded secret in beer making dating back to Egyptian times. Miller paid over $200 million to get their hands on the technique and will continue to monopolize the procedure.

There are rumors that it involves calculations based on high tide in Mali, the position of Jupiter and how long the beard of the master brewer is. Hope this helps.

:mug:

Don't listen to the above posters...triple hopping a beer is an extremely complicated and somewhat dangerous pursuit in brewing. It is a closely guarded secret in beer making dating back to Egyptian times. Miller paid over $200 million to get their hands on the technique and will continue to monopolize the procedure.

There are rumors that it involves calculations based on high tide in Mali, the position of Jupiter and how long the beard of the master brewer is. Hope this helps.

You sir, need to get a marketing job for one of the big 3 brewers. That sounds like a great commercial.:mug:

Calichusetts said:

I'm still trying to find some pry-off bottles with vortex necks.

Back