Belgian Tripel Belgian Tripel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scutiger

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Recipe Type
Extract
Yeast
WLP500
Yeast Starter
Yes - 1L
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
28 days @ 70F
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
none
Additional Fermentation
none
Tasting Notes
Fruity, lightly hopped, light to medium bodied
8# extra light DME @ beginning of boil
1.5# clear belgian candi sugar @ 10 min

6 oz. aromatic malt
4 oz. carapils malt
4 oz. crystal 20L

0.50 oz. UK Challenger, 8.3% AA @60 min
1.18 oz. Styrian Golding, 3.8% AA @60 min
0.79 oz. Styrian Golding, 3.8% AA @20 min
0.39 oz. Styrian Golding, 3.8% AA @0 min

(The weights are adjusted based on the 4.0% AA that beersmith was using for Styrians, based on 4%, they should be:
1 oz Styrians @60, 0.75 oz @20, and 0.25 @0 min).

0.25 oz. Sweet Orange Peel @ 10 min
1 tablet Whirlfloc @ 10 min

WLP500 - Trappist Ale Yeast, with 1L starter

Steep malts in 3 gal water for 30 min. Bring to boil and follow additions listed above. Cooled wort to 65F, topped off to 5 gallons, pitched yeast, fermented for 4 weeks, let temp rise naturally to room temp of 70F.

Bottled straight from primary after 4 weeks with 4.5 oz. corn sugar, conditioned for 6 weeks.

This is probably my friends favorite recipe and I figure it's good enough to share. In my opinion and the opinions of my friends, this is a good Tripel, with lots of fruity sweetness (from yeast I think, could use 530 I think for less fruitiness, but I think it goes well with the recipe). It's on the low end of the style in terms of IBU's, so pass on this one if you want a lot of bitterness, however there is good hop and malt aroma and the orange peel adds a nice flavor and aroma but isn't overwhelming. Light to medium in body, good malt character.
Enjoy.

This sounds very tasty.

Do you think this would work well with "light" DME instead of "extra-light", possibly with a few pounds of amber DME substituted?

How different are Styrian Goldings from Kent Goldings? Do you think the Kent would work ok here?

(Guess what I have left over in the closet :) )

thanks

Replacing the extra light DME with light or amber would make the beer darker and might give the beer a little more body. Probably wouldn't qualify it as Tripel by the strict style guidelines, but it'd still work. I've never made this particular beer with the EKG's, but I know people that say they're a good substitute for each other.

Overall I'd say with your changes it'd still work out well, it just wouldn't be identical

Back in the day I made a triple with 100% wheat DME and was probably my best triple to date (haven't attempted 100% wheat AG yet).. the wheat added a good sweetness for the alcohol content :mug:

Just an update on this recipe. Since I first brewed this, I've moved to brewing all grain. To modify this recipe for that, I just took out the DME and instead used a single infusion mash @148F with 12.5 lbs of pale malt.

Turning this into a Kriek is definitely an interesting idea. I hadn't thought about it because I've never had experience making one and have tasted very few. If you end up trying, let me know how it turns out.

I am brewing this recipe right now and it is smelling great. It started off with a sweet and sour pear smell, then banana, and now sticky sweet smell that is great. I made a few adjustments to your recipe.

Recipe Type: Extract
Yeast: WYeast 3522 (2 packets)
Yeast Starter: No
Batch Size (Gallons): 5.00
Original Gravity: 1.082
Final Gravity: TBD

Boiling Time (Minutes): 60
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): ongoing
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): I will do a secondary

I do not like too many hop flavors in my beer so I altered the hops a bit. I used 1 oz of UK Challenger hops for 60 minutes and 0.5 Tettnang hops for 30 minutes.

Since we are in a Polar Vortex this winter in Chicago, I did not have any room in my house that was 70 degrees so I started the beer a bit cooler which may have been a benefit with the yeast I was using. First day at 57, second day at 63, third day at 65, and now a steady 67. There has been a lot of activity and at day 5 the yeast is still going strong. I plan on doing a secondary for as long as it can stand not drinking the beer then I will bottle.

I will let you know how it turns out.

After 5 weeks I transferred my Belgian Triple to the secondary. The OG was 1.082 and the FG was 1.015. Didn't get as low as I thought but that may be due to the Wyeast 3522 or the cooler temps during the primary. I intend to leave in the secondary for a month and then bottle. It smells great.

This sounds like what i have going. 5 gal og 1.090 with a white labs saison 2 yeast (love the flavor that yeast produces)

Looks great I'm going to attack
This one with both fists, one problem....haven't got a great track record with letting beer age any where close to that long... Minor drinking problem... May have to lock it over at my parents place then go see a hypnotist to make me forget about it...

She doesn't seem to understand, I really, really, like beer...

The more variety you have brewed the easier it is to let one age.
That my tripel bulk agreed 2 months and had been bottled now for 4 weeks. I look forward to sampling while brewing stouts today.

I still have a few bottles left and it gets better as it ages. I know it is hard to leave it alone but it is worth the wait.

I think i will have better luck aging this year. A budgie and i brew together and wet are brewing for his wedding right now. Today makes the 1/2 way point. 20 gal of applewine, 4 x5gal batches of coffee stout, next month is our berry flavored ale (4x5gal batches), then finish off with our signature twist on a wheat beer 5x3 gal.

Was thinking of doing 25liters bottling 15 then the other 10 putting to sleep in a cask, would this style lend it's self to wood? Never made one before.

She doesn't seem to understand, I really, really, like beer...

Bringing this back from the dead, anyone here think of a reason why I wouldn't be able to do a full boil..? And if so any ideas what to change around..?

Nope, no reason you can't do a full boil. This recipe was made back when I still had limited space and equipment. If I were to make it now, I'd just go all grain and use lots of pale malt to hit the gravity, and keep the same specialty malts. You'd also have to adjust the hops slightly, off the top of my head I think hop utilization is greater in a full boil? So you'd need fewer hops for the same bitterness level.

Back