Brews at Monk's Cafe in Philly

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

landhoney

Reaction score
olllllo and I had,
-Monk's House Gueze - tap -blend owner made at Cantillon w/various Cantillon Lambics(excellent, low carbed(wonderful), nicely sour, moderate funk, a Delight!)
-Rodenbach Grand Cru - tap <- On Tap! We should all be so lucky!
-Kasteel Rouge - tap (OK, bit too much of a fake cherry flavor)
-De Dolle Oerbier Special Reserva 2005 - bottle( as a second option -turned out soo good)
-Monks Flemish Red - tap ( nice low sourness, good complexity)
-Drie Fonteinen schaerbeekse kriek - bottle (very good, maybe not worth the price, very intense cherry flavor - low funk/wood/everything else)
etc. etc. (the above were the 'interesting' ones)

My favorites were Monk's Cantillon Gueze and the De Dolle Oerbier Reserve(sour brown oak aged for two years). I/we got the Oerbier because they didn't have the Still Nacht Reserve, I was diappointed they didn't have it until we received the backup Oerbier and it turned out to be so great. I think we drank it a bit too cold, the last few sips seemed to be the best.
And now looking at beeradvocate it appears this was a 13% ABV beer! Holy Crap they did a good job with this! There's no way I'd think it was 13%, half that maybe.
Great beers and a great time.

I'm excited to check that place out. One of the wife's old friends is getting married in philly in March and we're staying for a few days. Monks is a block or two away. I've heard it's great, and seen the menu...whew.

Not the best picture of the gang... But here we alll are.
1989083140_2d6ad030c2.jpg

I should mention that we all had excellent food. There were 3 post of mussels prepared with leeks, garlic and either a flanders red or Cantillon boil as well as other herbs or seaonings that added a surprisingly different taste between the three.

It was fun tasting beers with someone else that appreciates the style. Even Mrs landhoney answered some of her friends questions about the brewing process as Seth and I rolled up our sleeves and discussed our tastings.

1989085178_acb2975961.jpg

We would have been boring guests to your friends if she wasn't there. :)

Monks is the shiz!

Evan:
Philly has a killer beer culture and if you are spending a few days, there is plenty to check out and sample.

If you had the mussels, you should have had the Frites, yes?

A whole post about Monk's and no one metions Frites...

It's funny, I was annoyed when Monk's opened because we used to frequent the previous bar/restaurant in the location.... boy was i wrong...

-JTD-

StoutJTD said:
If you had the mussels, you should have had the Frites, yes?

It's funny, I was annoyed when Monk's opened because we used to frequent the previous bar/restaurant in the location.... boy was i wrong...

-JTD-

Yes they were good.

I only say good because I was in Belgium only a few months ago and they are still fresh in my mind. I'm sure on my next visit, they will achieve their rightful place in the great category!

The rest between frying is critical.

StoutJTD said:

Good beer trumps all.

I don't make the rules:
1.beer
2.spades
3.diamonds
4.hearts
5. frites
6.clubs
;)

They were very good, but for me the beer won the day.

Back