Filling bottles from kegarator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buzzbromp

Reaction score
I've been having difficulties filling bottles and growlers from my kegarator. I tried two types of tubing this far. I got a large ID tube that fits snugly over the faucet outlet with fittings to reduce the tube size as it enters the bottle. The other tube I used was a small tube that will fit inside the faucet outlet. I had to cut the ends do it comes to a point and really work at getting it into the outlet.

The small tube works better as less foam goes into the bottle but it is a pain to get it fit into the outlet. Does anyone have any suggestions on what to use to fill bottles from a kegarator that won't fill to much foam?

Also, i don't get a lot of foam when filling a glass.

I know there will be debate to follow but, I just bought a Blichmann Beer Gun to bottle my kegged beer. I love it! I was able to quickly drain 2 of my seldom imbibed kegs and make room for my incoming IPA series.

Is the bottom of the tube on the bottom of the bottle? You should fill from the bottom up to avoid excess foaming.:mug:

Yes, the bottom of the tube is at the bottom of the bottle. Beer gun is nice, but I want to be able to quickly fill from the faucet on a moments notice rather than disconnect everything and attach the beer gun. I have never used a beer gun, but I imagine you need to do some disconnecting.

If you have Perlick faucets, do a search for the Bowie Bottler - it's a neat little attachment that a HBT member has come up with that fits the bill nicely. Aside from that, there's really not a good way to fill a bottle off the tap without foaming like crazy.

I know there will be debate to follow but, I just bought a Blichmann Beer Gun to bottle my kegged beer. I love it! I was able to quickly drain 2 of my seldom imbibed kegs and make room for my incoming IPA series.

Another reason to add to my list of reasons to get one!

One reason to not try bottling off your faucet if you plan to shelve the bottle for more than a week is that of sanitation. I much prefer applying some counterpressure such as in the BMBF.

I use a seperate beer line connector for bottling. I just push the bottling wand up into the little black faucet then purge the keg of ALL pressure...you only want 1-2 psi for this. I also remove the spring shut-off valve from the bottling wand. It works great and there are no valves to manipulate.

This beer line is cleaned and sanitized before every use.

One reason I use priming sugar when I keg and fill a dozen or so bottles from the keg then, using the keg as a bottling bucket. You need to plan ahead a bit to give the keg time to condition, but save some CO2 since you only need it to serve. And you have a stash of bottles for storing/sharing/trading.

Back