Oatmeal Stout Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gruffudd

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Just looking for a sanity check before I start this weekend:

Partial Mash - 5 Galon batch
2 lbs Crystal - 120L
1 lb Black Patent Malt
.5 lb Black Barley
.5 lb Flaked Oats
5 lbs Dark LME (Late Extract addition)

1oz Challenger 60 min
1oz Fuggles 15 min

White Labs #WLP023 (Burton Ale) Starter

EST OG 1.054
EST IBU 34.3

gruffudd said:

2 lbs Crystal - 120L
1 lb Black Patent Malt
.5 lb Black Barley
.5 lb Flaked Oats

1oz Challenger 60 min
1oz Fuggles 15 min

EST OG 1.054
EST IBU 34.3

Isn't a full pound of patent a bit much?

In my opinion don't use dark LME, you're better off using light, the beer will be black anyway. Also, I don't know whether you can get anything from oats without mashing them, I'm sure someone else knows about it though.

gruffudd said:

2 lbs Crystal - 120L
1 lb Black Patent Malt
.5 lb Black Barley
.5 lb Flaked Oats

1oz Challenger 60 min
1oz Fuggles 15 min

EST OG 1.054
EST IBU 34.3

You need some two-row or some other base malt with diastatic power for mashing. Or are you planning to just steep the grains?

As others have noted, that's a lot of crystal and black patent.

I would go with:
3 lbs. two row
1 lb. crystal 120
.25 lb black patent
.5 lbs roasted barley
1 lb. flaked oats

I'd say the grain bill choices look good, and the hops choices and schedule are right on track.

But I'd add another vote for dropping the crystal down. 1 lb of Black Patent will most likely be too much with the inclusion of dark LME. Rough guidelines are that it should be in the ballpark of 7% to 10% or so of the total grain bill for a Stout with good character (I am not set up atm to run what it is proportionally using LME otherwise I would, perhaps someone else can run the numbers to help you get in the ballpark). I too would bump the oats up.

Black patent is more characteristic of a porter. 1/4 lb is all I'd use for your stout (if any). I like desertbronze's advice and grain bill for the partial mash - the addition of roasted barley is quite appropriate, and you definitely need some 2-row (or other base malt) in your mash.

Cheesefood said:
Isn't a full pound of patent a bit much?

futurama-scruffy.jpg

Thanks all. I knew I was missing something (hence the post) This is what happens when you try and formulate with little or no sleep.

I've modifed the grain bill to what desertbronze suggested. For those that are curious to why I'm using Dark LME, It was free (well there *was* the caviat that I had to give the donor a six pack of whatever I ended up using it in :) )

I'll let ya'll know how it turns out

Back