Honey Golden Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewpastor

Beer, not rocket chemistry
Reaction score
I posted this extract recipe in a post earlier today but thought I would give it its own posting so more folks might have a chance to check it out. The original post was trying to find a brew for a girlfriend who did not like beer but drank reisling.

This recipe is my attempt to create a simple recipe that picks up some of the tones of reisling...:mug:

There Is No Reisling with a Blond Honey
A ProMash Recipe Report
Recipe Specifics
----------------
Batch Size (Gal): 5.00 Wort Size (Gal): 5.00
Total Grain (Lbs): 6.50
Anticipated OG: 1.05342 Plato: 13.197
Anticipated SRM: 6.4
Anticipated IBU: 18.8

Grain/Extract/Sugar
% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
61.5 4.00 lbs. Briess DME- Gold America 1.04600 8
7.7 0.50 lbs. Crystal 20L America 1.03500 20
15.4 1.00 lbs. Clover Honey Generic 1.03500 0
15.4 1.00 lbs. Clover Honey Generic 1.03500 0
Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops
Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
0.50 oz. Crystal Pellet 3.25 7.9 60 min.
0.50 oz. Czech Saaz Whole 3.50 7.7 60 min.
0.25 oz. Crystal Whole 3.25 1.8 30 min.
0.25 oz. Czech Saaz Pellet 3.50 1.4 20 min.

Yeast
-----
WYeast 1098 British Ale

Notes
-----
Boil DME in full volume of water.
Add first # of honey at end of boil.
Steep crystal malt for 10-15 minutes prior to chilling
Add second # of honey in the secondary (dilute in hot water to 1.050 OG)

I've experimented quite a bit with honey malt. 1/4 lb. in a 5 gallon batch with 2 lbs of honey will bring that honey out just a little bit. I'd never use more than 1/4 lb. of the stuff though--it goes a long way.

And I'd still use the crystal, but that's just me.

Dude said:
I've experimented quite a bit with honey malt. 1/4 lb. in a 5 gallon batch with 2 lbs of honey will bring that honey out just a little bit. I'd never use more than 1/4 lb. of the stuff though--it goes a long way.

I haven't used it for a LONG time, but that makes a lot of sense.

Dude said:

I picked up a pound of the stuff on your suggestion to one of my posts awhile back. I have yet to use it, but look forward to it. I bet some honey malt would work well in a recipe like Brewpastor's!

Brewpastor said:
Add first # of honey at end of boil.
Steep crystal malt for 10-15 minutes prior to chilling
Add second # of honey in the secondary (dilute in hot water to 1.050 OG)

I was planning on brewing this recipe and I had a couple of questions regarding the instructions, hopefully someone can help me out a bit...

1) Add first # of honey at the end of the boil. - Meaning after I turn off the heat? Or in the last couple of minutes? I know it probably doesn't make TOO much of a difference, but thought I'd ask.

2) Steep crystal malt for 10-15 minutes prior to chilling. - This makes me nervous about contamination and things like that since it is being done after the boil. Am I being too paranoid? Also, should I wait until the temp drops to below 170 before steeping?

3) Add second # of honey in the secondary (dilute in hot water to 1.050 OG) - Is there an easy way to estimate this? I mean, I'm sure I can break out the hydrometer and check it until I get it to exactly 1.050 SG, but is there a rule of thumb for roughly how much water I'll need? How critical is the SG for this step?

This is only my third brew and the first from a recipe so I'm still trying to figure some of this stuff out. Sorry for all the questions.

I recently used a pound of honey malt in a 10 gallon batch of an APA. I just tapped it yesterday and the beer was real young, but the sweetness of the honey malt gave way to the hops about 2 seconds after it was swallowed. Very interesting, i can not wait for the beer to age a bit.

Brewpastor, sorry to bring a thread back from the dead, but I need to know if it worked... did the girlfriend who hated beer but liked Riesling enjoy the Honey Golden Ale?

If she did, you may have finally discovered the recipe I can use to get my wife to tolerate homebrew :)

If I was going for a Boddingtons Honey Draught Clone would it be better to use the White Labs Cream Ale blend? I am looking for a good recipe for a Bodd Clone, would you know where I could find one? I am looking into getting into kegging and I think that this would probably be what I put in my first keg. How would I get that creamy Guinness style head? Also looking to solve the same problem as coyotlgw! I think that would allow me to purchase the kegging system and the chest freezer and only hear SWMBO for as long as it takes for me to get that brew poured! Recipe looks killer!

Latest posts

Back