Can You Brew It recipe for Green Flash West Coast IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EricCSU

Reaction score
All recipes are 6 gallons post-boil, 70% efficiency, Morey for color, 15% evaporation, 7.27 gallons preboil, Rager IBU, and most hops are in grams not ounces. Most, if not all recipes are primary only (no secondary).

If you brew this, please reply with your results.

SG 1069
79% apparent attenuation
FG 1013-1014
SRM 8.8
7.4% abv
IBUs

90 minute boil

WLP001. Ferment starting at 68F, let it increase to 72F over the course of fermentation.

14 lbs US 2 row
1.31 lbs Crystal 40 (substituted for Carastan)
1.31 lbs Carapils

0.5oz simcoe @90m
0.25oz simcoe @60m
0.25oz columbus @60m
0.25oz simcoe @30m
0.25oz columbus @30m
0.75oz simcoe @15m
0.75oz columbus @15m
1oz cascade @10m
0.5oz columbus @1m
0.5oz simcoe @1m
0.5oz each of amarillo, simcoe, columbus, centennial, and cascade for dry hop.

Mash @ 152F for 35m or until conversion
Mash out @ 168F
Sparge @ 170F

Tasty mentioned adding gypsum, but did not specifiy further. Nathan recommended finding the water report for Santa Cruz, CA. He then said that water additions probably don't play a huge role in this particular beer.

Tasty and Nathan recommending either adding 0.5oz columbus @90m or increasing the simcoe to 1oz @90m.

Green Flash is in Vista,Ca. Not sure why they would want the water report for Santa Cruz, unless of course they have another brewery there that I don't know about.:confused:

lets not forget to add Jamil's logic behind the 6 gallon post boil volume since it confuses some:

6 gallons post boil > 5.5 gallons in the fermenter > 5 gallons in bottling bucket/keg

lets not forget to add Jamil's logic behind the 6 gallon post boil volume since it confuses some:

6 gallons post boil > 5.5 gallons in the fermenter > 5 gallons in bottling bucket/keg

I will include that in the intro for all future recipes. I will post some more tomorrow, unless I am busy at work :)

Eric

I could have mistyped it. Is there a Santa Cruz County?

Eric

Not sure to be honest, but it's NorCal Vs SoCal, so obviously it would be completely different water profiles. I don't want to detract from the thread, but I thought it was worth pointing out.

I found Vista's water profile online and have the numbers on another computer if anyone wants them. Not surprisingly, it is fantastic water for IPAs right from the tap. I use the water profile for many of my IPAs now and it is very nice.

I hope he doesn't mean the Santa Cruz in northern CA, because our water is terrible. I would brew with straight SC water if someone paid me to. Well, I would, but remove any possibility it could be traced back to me.

Greenflash runs their water through an activated carbon filter and then adds gypsum.

When brewing IPA's or pale ales, I will add 6-8 grams of gypsum for a six gallon batch. When I do not add the gypsum the resulting bitterness is a little soft or round, for lack of a better terms.

Haven't sent my filtered water out for testing but when I do, will post results.

**EDIT**
I live in Vista and also use an activated carbon filter. It's not the same filter as Greenflash but I would have to assume the result is fairly similar considering our water comes from the same place.

It is San Diego County. Here is the water report for Green Flash's water district. I apologize for the confusion.

Eric

I did this recipe almost exactly a few months ago. I scaled it down for a 5.5 gal batch size as follows:

Code:
Batch Size: 5.50 gal
Estimated OG: 1.068 SG
Estimated FG: 1.016 SG
Estimated IBUs: 89.3 IBU
Estimated Color: 8.5 SRM
Brewhouse Efficiency: 68%
Boil Time: 90 minutes

Grains:
13.50# Pale Malt (2-Row) US (87.10%)
1.00# Carapils/Dextrine (6.45%)
1.00# Caramel/Crystal 40L (6.45%)

Hops:
0.75 oz Simcoe (12.20%) @90 min
0.25 oz Simcoe (12.20%) @60 min
0.25 oz Columbus (14.20%) @60 min
0.25 oz Simcoe (12.20%) @30 min
0.25 oz Columbus (14.20%) @30 min
0.75 oz Simcoe (12.20%) @15 min
0.75 oz Columbus (14.20%) @15 min
1.00 oz Cascade (6.10%) @10 min
0.50 oz Simcoe (12.20%) @0 min
0.50 oz Columbus (14.20%) @0 min
0.50 oz Amarillo (7.50%) (dry hop)
0.50 oz Cascade (6.10%) (dry hop)
0.50 oz Centennial (9.70%) (dry hop)
0.50 oz Columbus (14.20%) (dry hop)
0.50 oz Simcoe (12.20%) (dry hop)

Yeast:
White Labs WLP001 (California Ale)

I mashed at 152F for 60 mins, fermented in primary for about 12 days, racked to secondary on top of the hops for 9 days, and bottled. It's the best tasting beer in my inventory right now.

I'm making this beer Sunday, can't wait! It's going to be my first beer on my new upgraded system (march pump, fermentation chamber, stir plate, etc.) and with my increased knowledge (water adjustments) so I'm hoping it's stellar!!

I made this beer 5/2 and just kegged it yesterday and dry hopped. I went with 4.0 oz of dry hops in the keg. This beer smelled pretty crazy straight out of the primary without any dry hopping. Very resinous and dank smelling. It tasted quite good as well. Absolute hop bomb but not overly hoppy. The dry hops will jack up the experience though and the carbonation will as well. I finished right at 1.012. I mashed at 153F to make up for difference in my system and the yeast used. Seems promising overall- not to count my chicks before they hatch.

I made this beer 5/2 and just kegged it yesterday and dry hopped. I went with 4.0 oz of dry hops in the keg. This beer smelled pretty crazy straight out of the primary without any dry hopping. Very resinous and dank smelling. It tasted quite good as well. Absolute hop bomb but not overly hoppy. The dry hops will jack up the experience though and the carbonation will as well. I finished right at 1.012. I mashed at 153F to make up for difference in my system and the yeast used. Seems promising overall- not to count my chicks before they hatch.

Finishing at 1012 is awesome. I bet that will be a tasty beer.

Eric

I am brewing this one tonight. I am going to substitute the Simcoe with Citra whole leaf hops, and the Columbus with Chinook pellets. I know, not exactly a clone, but still should be close.

WLP001. Ferment starting at 68F, let it increase to 72F over the course of fermentation. m.

I have a question about this. When should bump up to 72?during secondary or at end of primary?

You would want to bump up the temp at the end of primary to allow the yeast to clean up after themselves. Keep it there for a few days and cold crash to clear.

You would want to bump up the temp at the end of primary to allow the yeast to clean up after themselves. Keep it there for a few days and cold crash to clear.

ok. It's been in the primary for two days. I only put it in a swamp bath the last 24 hrs. The first day was at 66-68,now at 62 in the bath.

I think tonight i'll bump it up to 72.

------------------------------------------

This is a great beer. I've made it once before. I compared side by side to the commercial brew and it comes in a little lighter in colour. I didn't get as much hop flavour but the bitterness was okay.

ok. It's been in the primary for two days. I only put it in a swamp bath the last 24 hrs. The first day was at 66-68,now at 62 in the bath.

I think tonight i'll bump it up to 72.

------------------------------------------

This is a great beer. I've made it once before. I compared side by side to the commercial brew and it comes in a little lighter in colour. I didn't get as much hop flavour but the bitterness was okay.

Keep us informed of your progress. Also, side by side photos are always great!

Eric

Mine is 8 weeks old now. In the keg and drinking great. I went ape-sheet and double dry hopped it, now have the last 4 ounces sitting in the keg. That was an 8 oz dry hop. It smells like no other beer I've ever experienced. I've given out a couple bottles and have gotten rave reviews. Some experienced homebrewers are flabbergasted by the aroma and flavor. I used my favorite dry hop mix and did not use all the recommended mix in the recipe. That was the only thing I changed. I am going to brew a fresh batch for an upcoming comp and see what happens. Either way I am very impressed with the recipe.

I've brewed it twice now (the last time it was slightly modified). It's still one of the best beers I've ever brewed. I made a pact to make 10 gal. batches from now on and to make sure to always have some on hand. Of course, I have a Pliny the Elder clone and Modus Hoperandi clone waiting to be sample for the first time tomorrow!

As promised here is a side by side pic. As you can see it looks bang on. I found it really difficult to taste much difference between the two. I think the commercial brew has a bit better/ bigger body or mouth feel. I might increase mash temp a degree or two next time however the home brew is still phenomenal and I certainly count it as a 'goto' ipa recipe for me.

Mine on the left. Green Flash on the right.
IMG_5462.jpg

So here is the recipe I used. Note that I used Carastan 30/37, not Crystal 30 listed in the beersmith output.:

GF West Coast IPA
American IPA

Type: All Grain
Date: 6/20/2010
Batch Size: 6.00 gal
Brewer: CJO
Boil Size: 7.23 gal Asst Brewer:
Boil Time: 90 min Equipment: My Equipment
Taste Rating(out of 50): 35.0 Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00
Taste Notes:

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
13.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 85.25 %
1.25 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 30L (30.0 SRM) Grain 8.20 %
1.00 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 6.56 %
0.50 oz Amarillo Gold [9.00 %] (Dry Hop 7 days) Hops -
0.50 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] (Dry Hop 7 days) Hops -
0.50 oz Zeus [14.00 %] (90 min) Hops 20.2 IBU
0.50 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] (90 min) Hops 18.7 IBU
0.50 oz Zeus [14.00 %] (Dry Hop 7 days) Hops -
0.50 oz Centennial [9.50 %] (Dry Hop 7 days) Hops -
0.25 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] (60 min) Hops 8.8 IBU
0.25 oz Zeus [14.00 %] (60 min) Hops 9.4 IBU
0.25 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] (30 min) Hops 6.7 IBU
0.25 oz Zeus [14.00 %] (30 min) Hops 7.2 IBU
0.75 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] (15 min) Hops 13.0 IBU
0.75 oz Zeus [14.00 %] (15 min) Hops 14.0 IBU
1.00 oz Cascade [7.00 %] (5 min) Hops 3.4 IBU
0.50 oz Zeus [14.00 %] (1 min) Hops 0.8 IBU
0.50 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] (1 min) Hops 0.8 IBU
1.00 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 min) Misc
12.00 gm Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) (Mash 60.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs American Ale (Wyeast Labs #1056) [Starter 1 L] Yeast-Ale

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.069 SG
Measured Original Gravity: 1.069 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.016 SG Measured Final Gravity: 1.016 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 6.83 % Actual Alcohol by Vol: 6.93 %
Bitterness: 103.1 IBU Calories: 312 cal/pint
Est Color: 7.7 SRM Color: Color

It was working for me but that probably had something to do with my cache. Anyway... fixed!

I've made this beer twice and it's the bomb! I loved the commercial version and the homebrew is much fresher and the hops are much brighter. If you like hops make this beer!

Brewed this yesterday and was slightly short on the Simcoe at flameout, which is no big deal IMO.

The question is how important is the Simcoe in the dry hop? Should I bother trying to get that small amount for dry hopping, skip it entirely or sub something? I've got Chinook,Citra, Magnum, Saaz available. Leaning towards just skipping it but looking for opinions anyway.

Brewed this yesterday and was slightly short on the Simcoe at flameout, which is no big deal IMO.

The question is how important is the Simcoe in the dry hop? Should I bother trying to get that small amount for dry hopping, skip it entirely or sub something? I've got Chinook,Citra, Magnum, Saaz available. Leaning towards just skipping it but looking for opinions anyway.

IMHO it won't be nearly the same without the Simcoe. I'm not saying it will be bad but it won't be Green Flash. Simcoe is a special flavor that can't be substituted for. If you really want green flash go find some Simcoe. If your happy with another IPA the feel free to substitute.

I am planning on brewing this beer for my next batch. West Coast IPA is hands down my favorite beer. I cant wait to brew my own.

I brewed this today. I came up a bit shy of my target OG. I hit 1.064. Im hoping it doesnt make too much of a difference in the final product.

I missed the FG by 1 point. Right now its at 1.015. I tried a sample and added dry hops. From what I can tell it tastes pretty close to the actual beer. I cant wait to do a side by side blind taste test.

I sampled the first bottle last night and was very impressed. It lacked some aroma compared to the actual beer but is still very tasty. Like many other people have said the hops really shine in this recipe. Thanks again for posting all of these recipes!

Finally found this beer at Whole Foods in L.A. Wasn't impressed. Could not find a best by or bottled date, but I imagine the beer had been on the shelf a long time. Meanwhile, I dry hopped my clone yesterday after 2 weeks in primary. SG was also 1.015.

Finally found this beer at Whole Foods in L.A. Wasn't impressed. Could not find a best by or bottled date, but I imagine the beer had been on the shelf a long time. Meanwhile, I dry hopped my clone yesterday after 2 weeks in primary. SG was also 1.015.
Was it in a 4pack? If it was a 6pack chances are it is at least a few months old.

Back