Belgian Strong Dark Critique Needed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smellysell

Reaction score
Here's what I have so far. Going to pitch it onto a cake from a Belgian IPA that I have chugging away right now. Anything that you all would suggest changing?

Batch Size: 5.50 gal
Boil Size: 7.89 gal
Estimated OG: 1.102 SG
Estimated Color: 42.0 SRM
Estimated IBU: 34.6 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:
Code:
Amount        Item                                      Type         % or IBU      
14 lbs        Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)            Grain        70.00 %       
2 lbs         Special B Malt (180.0 SRM)                Grain        10.00 %       
1 lbs         Wheat Malt, Ger (2.0 SRM)                 Grain        5.00 %        
8.0 oz        Caramunich Malt (56.0 SRM)                Grain        2.50 %        
8.0 oz        Melanoiden Malt (20.0 SRM)                Grain        2.50 %        
1.00 oz       Saaz [5.10 %]  (90 min) (First Wort Hop)  Hops         14.6 IBU      
1.00 oz       Saaz [5.10 %]  (60 min)                   Hops         12.4 IBU      
1.00 oz       Saaz [5.10 %]  (20 min)                   Hops         7.5 IBU       
1 lbs         Candi Sugar, Dark (275.0 SRM)             Sugar        5.00 %        
1 lbs         Turbinado (10.0 SRM)                      Sugar        5.00 %        
1 Pkgs        Belgian Ardennes (Wyeast Labs #3522)      Yeast-Wheat

+1 on way too much Special B.

I wouldn't pitch this onto the yeast cake from *any* kind if IPA. I'd rinse that yeast first, as in the yeast washing thread, to remove any strong hoppy character from the yeast before re-using it.

I just did a BDS a couple weeks ago .. and I used about 0.25lbs Special B. 2lbs is way too much. You could cut out 1.75lbs of that Special B and replace it with Munich.

Ok, I love the flavor of Special B is why I was wanting to use so much. I used the maximum in batch according to Beersmith thinking that would be ok. What would happen if I used that much?

One more thing, with that high of an OG, you need to think about step feeding your wort. That way the yeast won't crap out before finishing their meal. Let the fermentation go for about a week then toss in the candi sugar and turbinado. You should be able to get down to 1.020 or lower that way (assuming you mash low). Just my 2 cents.:mug:

One more thing, with that high of an OG, you need to think about step feeding your wort. That way the yeast won't crap out before finishing their meal. Let the fermentation go for about a week then toss in the candi sugar and turbinado. You should be able to get down to 1.020 or lower that way (assuming you mash low). Just my 2 cents.:mug:

Yeah, I was planning on mashing at 149 for 90 minutes and then adding the syrup after the krausen dropped the first time and the turbinado when it dropped again.

Anybody want to explain why not to use so much Special B?

Yeah, I was planning on mashing at 149 for 90 minutes and then adding the syrup after the krausen dropped the first time and the turbinado when it dropped again.

Anybody want to explain why not to use so much Special B?

It's basically just dark crystal. Adding a ton of crystal is going to make your beer cloyingly sweet and will dominate the flavor way, way too much. Those notes in Special B that you love will be amplified to the point of being overbearing.

Belgian beers typically don't have a lot of crystal notes. That much crystal or Special B is not going to taste good in any beer, though. If you want a maltier flavor consider using a good amount of Vienna or Munich and reducing that Special B under 8 oz.

Ultimately, though, it's up to you. If you're really into it and wanna do it, go ahead. But don't say we didn't warn you when your batch tastes like crap. If you look at recipes frequently, you'll notice that there are a ton of people who post recipes using 2 lbs or more of Crystal. And they are consistently warned that it's not a good idea, regardless of beer style.

This look better? Any other suggestions?

[size=-1]BeerSmith Recipe Printout - www.beersmith.com[/size]
[size=+2]Recipe: Quad[/size]
Brewer: Justin Sell
Asst Brewer:
Style: Belgian Dark Strong Ale
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications

Batch Size: 5.50 gal
Boil Size: 8.75 gal
Estimated OG: 1.103 SG
Estimated Color: 42.2 SRM
Estimated IBU: 37.0 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:
Code:
Amount        Item                                      Type         % or IBU      
14 lbs        Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)            Grain        71.79 %       
1 lbs         Wheat Malt, Ger (2.0 SRM)                 Grain        5.13 %        
8.0 oz        Caramunich Malt (56.0 SRM)                Grain        2.56 %        
8.0 oz        Melanoiden Malt (20.0 SRM)                Grain        2.56 %        
8.0 oz        Special B Malt (180.0 SRM)                Grain        2.56 %        
1.00 oz       Saaz [5.10 %]  (90 min) (First Wort Hop)  Hops         15.6 IBU      
1.00 oz       Saaz [5.10 %]  (60 min)                   Hops         13.3 IBU      
1.00 oz       Saaz [5.10 %]  (20 min)                   Hops         8.1 IBU       
2 lbs         Candi Sugar, Dark (275.0 SRM)             Sugar        10.26 %       
1 lbs         Turbinado (10.0 SRM)                      Sugar        5.13 %        
1 Pkgs        Belgian Ardennes (Wyeast Labs #3522)      Yeast-Wheat

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Light Body, No Mash Out
Total Grain Weight: 16.50 lb
Code:
Single Infusion, Light Body, No Mash Out
Step Time     Name               Description                         Step Temp     
90 min        Mash In            Add 6.27 gal of water at 158.2 F    149.0 F

Looks next to perfect, dude.

You can probably combine both 90 and 60 minute hop additions into 1, though - staying close to the same IBUs. No reason for both as they are both serving the same purpose.

Back