Mmmmmmmmmm... Goat sweat!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheCrane

Reaction score
I love Jolly Pumpkin's beers. So I thought 'hey, why not grow up some of Ron's critters and pitch em' into my beer?'. I took the dregs from a bottle of Bam bier and step cultured it to a 1 L starter. Aside from sour mashes, this was my first experience with the wild things and didn't really know what to expect. The starter was obviously rich with Saccharomyces, as well as the Dexter, MI beasties. It tasted great. A lot like, well.. Bam. So I brewed up a Belgian-esque pale and pitched with the Bam starter and a packet of re-hydrated Nottingham.

The results... If you boiled 1 very old and very stale goat in 5 gallons of a$$ sweat for 3 hours, and then filtered it through 30 lbs of horse manure you might come close.

Think I'll keg it keep it around to dispense as a novelty. Anyone interested in a beer swap?:cross:

How long has this thing been aging? I believe most if not all wild beers require a looong aging period for the bugs to finish their work, clean-up, and smooth out (a year or more). Keg is a good idea, I would not bottle that though for fear of bottle bombs. OG, FG? Pellicle? I also love Jolly Pumpkin, and have been thinking of a culture sometime in my future.

Its been in secondary for ~1 month. My understanding is that the brett character (horsey, goaty etc.) usually takes a long time to come out. I think that by step culturing and pitching in primary I over inoculated with brett. I think that perhaps adding the dregs directly to secondary and then aging for an extended period may have yielded better results as the brett would only have what was left from primary to chew on. Live and learn, i guess.

In regards to your questions

OG: 1.056
Gravity into secondary 1.008!! (1 week in primary)
FG: TBA

No pelicle, no plans to bottle.

Recipe:
Amount Item Type % or IBU
8.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 74.42 %
1.00 lb Munich Malt - 20L (5.0 SRM) Grain 9.30 %
0.50 lb Caramunich Malt (56.0 SRM) Grain 4.65 %
0.25 lb Aromatic Malt (26.0 SRM) Grain 2.33 %
1.50 oz Sterling [5.30 %] (60 min) Hops 25.4 IBU
0.50 oz Sterling [7.50 %] (15 min) Hops 6.0 IBU
1.00 lb Candi Sugar, Amber (20.0 SRM) Sugar 9.30 %
1 Pkgs Jolly Funkin (The Loaf)
1 Pkgs Nottingham (Danstar #-) Yeast-Ale

Boerderij Kabouter is right. Sour beers take a long time to age and become the 'pleasant' goat sweat, as you refer to it! Put it away and forget about it for about 1 more year, at least, then think about packaging it and put it away for about another year or so.

Back