**NEWB***Can I age a beer in the bottles?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kejsport

Reaction score
I am very very new to brewing....

I just made my second batch of beer, and my first without a kit. I made a standard dark ale. I fermented it for two weeks and bottle conditioned it right after. I plan on letting it sit for 5-6 weeks. Any idea if it will age alright in the bottles, or will I be dumping it?

5-6 weeks is not really aging - it's just getting ready. For a bigger ale, 5-6 months in the bottle might be much more common.

Edit: it doesn't age in the fridge, so if you're 'aging' beer - make sure it's out where yeasties can do their business.

I am leaving them at the fermenting temperature for the 5-6 weeks. Some may stay a long time. I also have them in cardboard boxes, placed inside large covered bins. This eliminates a mess if an explosion occurs.

Also, I learned for the first batch that the last beers I drank (1 year after the fermentation) were SOOO much better then the first ones (2 months out).

Does anyone have a good recipe for strong hop tasting ale? Please be specific with instructions... I only recently lost my brewing cherry...

While you know what your tastes are, I had an extremely hoppy beer last night and I didn't like it. Everything in moderation.

zacster said:
While you know what your tastes are, I had an extremely hoppy beer last night and I didn't like it. Everything in moderation.

I agree 100% Just like good spicy food, there is a point where you no longer appreciate (taste) the quality of the other ingredients. :cross:

try a lot of aroma hops, and less bittering. it's awesome... learn to balance it with the malts and your set... but then to each thier own

Two weeks is a bit on the light side but if you keep it in bottles a while it should be drinkable.

What I usually do personally is have the beer in the primary for 3-4 weeks and then bottle it. It's usually drinkable after as little as one week in the bottle but of course it gets better after that...

Back