Wrong water Calculations in Beersmith2?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ramgeva

Reaction score
Hi All
I have some recipe in Beersmith with Double Infusion, and I entered my Equipment (the standard 5Gal beersmith Profile), in the Mash details I have the Following Steps:
Protein Rest - 2.03 Gal
Saccharification - 1.80 Gal
Mash Out - 2.03 Gal

Total: 6.57Gal (more than my 5Gal Mash Tun).

The grain Bill is 4Kg

I know that for heavy beers 5Gal batch a 5Gal Cooler is not enough but this is Wheat Beer recipe, even this is not possible in a 5Gal Cooler? or there is some issue in the software? or any parameter i entered wrongly?
10x

I know you said that you used the default 5Gal equipment profile, but which one? In my copy of BeerSmith I have a few different default 5 Gallon profiles.

When I look at the "Pot and Cooler (5 Gal/19L)" profile in my software, which I don't think I ever modified, the Mash Tun Volume is set as 10 gallons.

I plugged in 4 Kg of Two row, and I got the following mash volumes which were not that different from your volumes:

Protein - 7.94 qt
Sacch - 7.05 qt
Mash Out - 6.17 qt

Can you post a screen shot of your Equipment profile?

I would check the lauter tun dead space and the loss to trub and chiller amounts. If you have not set these to match your actual equipment values, it may be overestimating the amount of water that you need.

Thanks all yes the profile was wrong somehow (have no idea how it change).

Simply select a different profile, also, if you are batch sparging there is no need for a mash out. I don't remember if there is a profile for selecting with a batch sparge though.

duboman said:
Simply select a different profile, also, if you are batch sparging there is no need for a mash out. I don't remember if there is a profile for selecting with a batch sparge though.

Yes thanks that is what I did, there wasn't a batch sparge profile so I created it.

if you are batch sparging there is no need for a mash out.

There's no need to mash-out if one continuously sparging. I have always continusously sparged, and I haven't performed a step mash in close to twenty years. The only kind of mash that I do other than a single-infusion is a single-decoction.

Back