Settle An Argument?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DiscipleofDionysus

Reaction score
So I was brewing the other day and a friend of mine, witnessing me putting hop bags in the bk, put forth the idea that it would be far more efficient and produce a better final result if the hop bags were submerged to the middle of the kettle. I disagree. Keep in mind I'm constantly pushing them down under the water level and the entire bag is wet throughout. Shouldn't this extract just as much of that hoppy goodness as any other method? Just curious, thanks!

I'd bet that if you did an experiment you wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

Bag location makes no difference but putting whole hops in a bag may make a slight difference. Pellets will make less of a difference in a bag since you get better utilization. Like others have said overall you probably can't tell that much if any difference!

Everyone here is going to provide their opinion. If they use a bag they will say it doesn't make a difference. If they don't use a bag they will say it does make a difference.

The only way to definitively answer this is to make two identical batches, use a bag on one. Then send two samples to a lab that can do IBU testing.

Everyone here is going to provide their opinion. If they use a bag they will say it doesn't make a difference. If they don't use a bag they will say it does make a difference.

The only way to definitively answer this is to make two identical batches, use a bag on one. Then send two samples to a lab that can do IBU testing.

Correct, except the OP is asking about where the bag is placed in the boil, not whether to use one or not:)

duboman said:
Correct, except the OP is asking about where the bag is placed in the boil, not whether to use one or not:)

Good point. So just substitute "floating on top" and "sunk to the bottom" and it's still completely applicable! Actually that works for most arguments around here: until someone shells out some money for proper testing everyone is going to keep posting "I do it this way and can't tell a difference, so it must not make a difference:)"

jhoyda said:
Good point. So just substitute "floating on top" and "sunk to the bottom" and it's still completely applicable! Actually that works for most arguments around here: until someone shells out some money for proper testing everyone is going to keep posting "I do it this way and can't tell a difference, so it must not make a difference:)"

Correct, so going back to my original response, the boil itself creates a natural circulation in the kettle so whether one is pushing the bag down or allowing it to rise or positioning it in the center is pretty irrelevant:)

Correct, so going back to my original response, the boil itself creates a natural circulation in the kettle so whether one is pushing the bag down or allowing it to rise or positioning it in the center is pretty irrelevant:)

I agree. Every water molecule will travel the entire pot several million times, (guesstament). The placement won't matter.

My hops bags are pulled under and rolled around then spit back to the top, over and over, and over.

pb

I agree. Every water molecule will travel the entire pot several million times, (guesstament). The placement won't matter.

My hops bags are pulled under and rolled around then spit back to the top, over and over, and over.

pb

See, I rest my case.

Exactly how does your friend propose to keep the hops suspended in the middle of the kettle?

Theoretically, all the time the hops are floating on the surface, they have less surface area in contact with the wort. Even if they are bobbing up and down, they spend some time at the top.

Since I've never heard of a brewery going through lengths to address that possibility though, I'd have to guess the effect is pretty tiny.

Latest posts

Back