Hit FG number but still bubbling???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mdawson9

Reaction score
Hi. I brewed a two hearted clone on 3/10 so it's about day 11 of fermentation. Did the first gravity check today and I hit the 1.012 that Beersmith has as the FG. However, the airlock still has bubbling. Not much mind you. Just a bubble every 30 seconds or so. I'm going to do gravity tomorrow and Saturday too but I guess the question is two fold: first, do this mean it's still fermenting? second, should i attempt to stop it from continuing to ferment if it is?
thanks for any insight!!

I'm a newb and don't know anything :) But is it getting warmer? Heat will cause it to expand and exhale bubbles. Or did you shake it up?

Otherwise, my guess is that it is still fermenting a little, and should be left alone.

Personally I'd let it go another 5 days or so. I find that I typically get below BeerSmith's estimated FG. No need to rush it.

Yep, FG listed in a recipe or from software is always an estimate and depends on a number of variables. It's done when it's done. IMO daily checks are just a waste of beer and more chances to contaminate. Check it once, repeat in 3-4 days, if it's stable that's your FG.

You also have to account for off gassing of dissolved co2. It's a natural part of the process. Even though a beer will be at FG,it can still vent co2 coming out of solution.

i am in the group that doesnt take gravity readings just to see if it is done. I leave it in there long enough that i know it is done. i have been busy sometimes and left a beer in the fermentor for upwards of 2 months! i agree with Nagorg dont rush it!:rockin:

Back