low abv sparkling mead??? any advice?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jackfrost

Reaction score
I am thinking of making a sparkling Mead about 5-7 abv I want to use good honey since this will be semi sweet.

1 gallon water
3# honey(cherry bossom, orange blossom, buckwheat ...just some good honey)
Nutrient & energizer
Nottingham ale yeast
Sg 1.060-1.065

Ferment 58 to 62 f
1-2 weeks...rack @ 1.015-1.020

Bottle Carb... pasteurize... drink all this in one month

ANY THOUGHTS?

If not using priming sugar/honey to carb it then watch the gravity closley. last time I used Nottingham on a mead it took off like a rocket and fermented quickley; however, my fermenting temp was in the mid to high 60*F range. So your cooler temps may help that.

If you want it semi sweet I still bet that nottingham will take that dry bottle carbing. You may need to throw in some unfermentable sugar in there if you want it semi sweet.

If not using priming sugar/honey to carb it then watch the gravity closley. last time I used Nottingham on a mead it took off like a rocket and fermented quickley; however, my fermenting temp was in the mid to high 60*F range. So your cooler temps may help that.

If you want it semi sweet I still bet that nottingham will take that dry bottle carbing. You may need to throw in some unfermentable sugar in there if you want it semi sweet.

On my cinders I stop fermentation early and Nottingham is known for it attenuation under 100....I do know what you mean about the rocket cause I use it in my cinders and some times fermentations done In like 2 says....but I usually cols crash then bottle Carb then pasteurize cider come out great just wondering about Mead

All I meant was that the nottingham took a mead of mine dry at 0.998 in under two weeks. With London ESB 1968 yeast I had a pumpkin Melomel go from 1.100 to 1.015 in like 5 or 6 days. Just warning that if you wait a full 1 or two weeks to rack and check your gravity then, it may be lower than your wanted 1.015 - 1.02.

This I do know....I let it for to where I want then cold crash a week or two

Back