Cloudy beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just opened my first bottle of my first home brew. Before I put my bottles in the fridge they were nice and clear but after they have been refrigerated I poured them and they are cloudy. With some sediment in the bottle too. Did this just not have good primary fermentation r was it in the secondary fermentation?

Any hints would b great.

I believe what you have is chill haze. Let the beer warm up again, and it will appear clear!

This is a common "problem" with homebrews. In time, that haze, which is composed of proteins, will drop out. It is harmless, however.

And the sediment in the bottle is yeast that has dropped out of suspension. You will always have some if you don't filter your beer. It's a product of natural carbonation and the yeast that didn't settle in the fermenter. If you leave it ferment longer you will have less in the bottle but you cannot have natural carbonation without a bit of sediment.

I'll leave my next batch the the fermenter a bit longer and see if it reduces the amount of sediment.
Is it a lot of hassle filtering your beer and is it worth it r just deal with the little bit of sediment?

If you didnt already, try adding wirfloc tabs to the wort. It will aid in eliminating the haze of the yeast and sediment after fermenting and bottling.

Chilling your hot wort down to ferment temps in 20 minutes or less will greatly reduce or eliminate chill haze at fridge time. But at least 1 week fridge time will give chill haze a chance to settle out like a fog.

I'll leave my next batch the the fermenter a bit longer and see if it reduces the amount of sediment.
Is it a lot of hassle filtering your beer and is it worth it r just deal with the little bit of sediment?

You will always have some, because you need that sediment(yeast) to carb your beer.

Your options are these

1) Keg
2) Pour more carefully and leave the last bit of beer in the bottom of the bottle before the sediment starts coming out.

Living in Australia even in the summer the cold tap is still hot. It did take a while for the wort to cool down before I could add the yeast. I have learned from that and for the next brew I will chill a 10L bladder of water so I will have better control of the temp. I will chill the current batch for a week and see how it goes.

Thanks.

Back