Post your weight gain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OrdinaryAvgGuy

Reaction score
I know some of you folks gained a few pounds as result of home brewing.

Post the number of pounds you proudly gained as a result of your creations.

Ill start....

0 (my first batch is currently fermenting)

Not sure what my number was, but my wife is back in school so she's too busy to make full lunch/dinners...so I'm slowly going back to where I was haha

I've actually lost weight since I started Brewing but I had an unfair advantage in the weight gain because of all the going out and eating and drinking I did before

I have only been home-brewing since November, but I worked in the beer industry for 20 years. Over those years (and thousands of beers), I gained 60 pounds.

Started working out for the first time in June and dropped several pounds, but beer and weight gain seem to go hand in hand. However, I blame bar food for much of that gain (who can't pass up wings or potato skins while enjoying a few cold ones)

I have not really gained much since November despite the fact that my home brews have considerably more calories than the large brewer lagers. However, I find that I savor fewer home brews vs. "pounding" a lot of the lightly flavored lagers. So I probably take in the same calories due to drinking fewer beers per session.

I started jogging a couple weeks ago and I think i lost 7#. I don't know how I had Gina from beer, a lot.

When I started homebrewing in 1992 I weighed 187 pounds, and had for 15 years. In 2005 I started going to the gym and after 6 months my weight had jumped from the steady 187 to 210. Since 2005 my weight has stayed steady at 208-210. I brew around 180 gallons a year and drink over half of that myself, so I don't see homebrew as a serious contributor to weight.

Since I started to homebrew I lost about 35 pounds. I have no clue why I lost the weight but I am blaming the home brew:rockin:

Since I started to homebrew I lost about 35 pounds. I have no clue why I lost the weight but I am blaming the home brew:rockin:

I believe it.

The skinniest I have ever been was the summer of my 4th year in college.

Perhaps it was because I consumed 3 cases of of the Bush light per week, leaving little money for food.

Was 175# 6'1 then now 250# and I may drink 1 case a month.

So is beer really the enemy or is it food?

i took 3 months off drinking. dropped from 220 down to 195. :) starting the 27th ill be back at it. going to Russian River and a few other spots out in cali on the 1st. then its MI winter beer fest to ruin all my hard work.

I'm actually on a diet atm which includes all the beer I can drink. Down 5lbs. One thing I noticed about drinking a lot in the evening is it competes with stomach space with dinner. This is a problem only as I get older and seems to be getting worse so I now eat dinner 2-3 in the afternoon.

I started HB a year ago and gained 25 pounds over the year. Started working out again this month. Trying to reduce carb intake in favor of protein. Then save calories for the beer at night. I find that eating mainly protein and veggies helps me feel fuller longer. Not so much an Adkins diet or south beach diet as I have kids and family meals will usually involve carbs to some extent. But I can control my breakfast and lunch and try to limit the carbs.

haha funny thing is I have lost about 30lbs in the past year that I have been home brewing. I don't drink soda's at all anymore because soda vs beer, I'll take a beer! haha I have been a pretty strong vegetable diet though. I'm not vegetarian or anything but I learned a lot and realized I wasn't eating nearly enough vegetables. It try to fill up on veggies during the week and I enjoy my weekends eating whatever I want. I'm still losing weight and I drink a beer or two...or three...most nights. haha

I've lost two pounds or so in the last 8 years. I drink quite a bit of beer, but I don't eat any junk food at all- Haven't had a doughnut in almost 30 years.

As long as you factor in your beer consumption into your daily maintenance calories, you should be fine. I work out for the sole purpose of being able to eat 3,000 calories a day and maintain weight.

I've lost two pounds or so in the last 8 years. I drink quite a bit of beer, but I don't eat any junk food at all- Haven't had a doughnut in almost 30 years.
Since I've had this job now for 8 years my junk food consumption has dropped about 80%, mainly because I used to be on the road all the time. But I do still eat a couple of doughnuts at our monthly safety meetings and an occasional $1.19 green chile double cheeseburger at McDonald's(no fries or drink).

I don't really gain weight and people are always saying I'm too skinny even though I drink a pint most nights. I think it has a lot to do with never eating fast food, never drinking soda, playing ice hockey and running on a regular basis.

I have a really good friend who drinks a lot more than I do, smokes and doesn't exercise, but he can't gain weight either. It's about balancing intake of food and drink more than just beer itself.

Same process every year.

From college football in September through national championship game, I'll gain about 20lbs.
Did well this year, only 15.

From nat champ game to march madness, it's lockdown mode. Give up drinking, food mostly limited to fruits, vegetables, and lean protein. And 2 a days at the gym.
March madness arrives, taps go online again, and do it all over again.

Bringing a dead thread back to life...

I've brewed since 1991 but took a break between 2007 and 2013 at which point homebrewing was finally legalized in Alabama and I started again.

In 2013 when I restarted brewing I weighed 174 (6' 0" 50+ year old male, 23.6 normal BMI).

Today and for probably at least the last year I've weighed consistently over 200, 203 this morning (27.5 overweight BMI).

My other hobbies and activities haven't changed so I think I can safely attribute the weight gain to increased beer consumption. I brew a 10 gallon batch about once a month so a total of around 120 gallons a year, probably 80% of which I drink myself.

No weight gain in the past 40 years, been brewing for about 4 now. I rarely have more than one a day when I'm by myself. 73 and still weigh in at about 160 lbs 6' tall.

I was in the middle of grad school when I started. Weight has dropped steadily with the reduction in stress and more time to eat better.

With a handle like "bruteforce", I don't exactly see you as a skinny gangly guy! :D

Like was mentioned, I think beer gets a bad rap. Most people eat too much sugar and junk food. I gave up most grains in 2010 (I drink my grains!) and sugar (even ketchup and items containing sugar which is in just about all packaged foods) in about 2011, and haven't had a weight or health issue at all. I'm 52 and a grandmother, and feel great.

I go up 10, down 11, up 12, down 8, up 6, down 10, up 1 and end up staying about the same. Dinner sizes and snacks are much more troublesome...

With a handle like "bruteforce", I don't exactly see you as a skinny gangly guy! :D

Like was mentioned, I think beer gets a bad rap. Most people eat too much sugar and junk food. I gave up most grains in 2010 (I drink my grains!) and sugar (even ketchup and items containing sugar which is in just about all packaged foods) in about 2011, and haven't had a weight or health issue at all. I'm 52 and a grandmother, and feel great.

Ha it's true. Despite the weight loss, I still compete as a super heavyweight strongman so it's not exactly like I'm wasting away. Just healthier. Besides, who doesn't want a brewing buddy who can lift a one barrel mash tun full of grain up onto the rig?

I started brewing in again in February after a 3 yr hiatus. Since then, my consumption has dropped significantly, but I have gained 15 lbs. I attribute it to the fact I am working 70-80 hours a week on a computer and have pretty much stopped exercising. My experience has been my weight is tied to how much I am working, not how much I am drinking (when working long hours, I exercise little and grab whatever is easy and quick).

I've gained about 10-15 lbs from beer.. I've been on the gaining 5-10 lbs a year thing since I lost 150 lbs about 7 years ago. So I need to lose about 40-50 again.. I'm actually planning on cutting back on the beer and brewing lower gravity beers for awhile (like a year or two). I see it as a challenge because I'm going to make them low cal AND tasty.

Honestly, beer is sugar. More complex form, yes, but even alcohol is processed down to sugar by your liver.. however in moderation there is a lot of other good stuff in beer, especially homebrew, since we don't filter off the nutrients... the probiotic effects have been really good for me.

Brewing beer has given me a much better understanding of sugar and sugar metabolism, and that is good as well.

I have a friend locally who gave up homebrewing entirely due to weight gain, so it is a serious issue. And... yes... it really helped him as a part of the plan...

You can enjoy plenty of beer without gaining weight but beer does contain calories so you have to look at the big picture of your lifestyle to understand how beer fits in, and to know when enough is enough.

Exercise helps, but the reality is, most of us beer folks are going to have to work really damn hard to offset (or even put a dent in) beer calories with physical activity. Sad but true; just look at how many calories are in your favorite DIPA, and compare that to how many calories you burn by running on a treadmill for 45 minutes (for example).

That’s why, regardless of whether you drink 1 beer per week or 1 case per week, the best way to “make room” for beer without getting fat is to take a good hard look at what you eat.

I’ve no doubt that in many cases, the term “beer belly” is nothing more than a bad diet misidentified; that is, a food diet that contains too much sugar, too much processed junk, too much indiscriminate empty-calorie snacking, and too little attention to portion sizes at meals.

When it comes to weight management, it’s impossible to overstate the importance of having at least a basic understanding of the impacts of your food choices before you make them. That sounds obvious but I can’t believe how few people seem to be able to, for example, tell the difference between a 400 calorie lunch and 1000+ calorie lunch. That 400 calories is not much but it does not require one to eat cabbage water and carrot sticks—it can easily be achieved by filling a Tupperware container with leftovers from a previous night’s healthy home-cooked dinner. The 1000 calorie option is going to get you on the express lane to Fatville and is pretty much what you’re signing up for when you walk into Jimmy John’s and order one of those foot-long tubes of mayonnaise that they call a sub sandwich. Make it a combo with a big cookie or bag of chips, and that’s several hundred more calories. Even without the cookie and chips, this illustrative example shows an additional 600 calories being consumed over and above what would be contained in a smart-but-still-reasonable lunch – a difference which constitutes roughly 25% of a typical 40ish year-old adult male’s caloric budget for the entire day to maintain a healthy weight – and that’s just one of the day’s meals.

If you don’t bother to learn how to read food labels and identify common calorie traps, you’ll be inclined to eat whatever gets thrown in your face or placed conveniently at arm’s length, without having any understanding of how it’s impacting your weight. And that is a bad situation to be in, because most profit-hungry purveyors of foodstuffs do not hold your health as a top priority when marketing and peddling their wares… shocking, I know, and yet another reason why it’s always best to prepare your own meals from whole foods whenever humanly possible so you know exactly what you’re eating.

Oh, and if you are one who assumes that “healthy food” is synonymous with “bland food,” please get that idea out of your head because it’s not true.

You can enjoy plenty of beer without gaining weight but beer does contain calories so you have to look at the big picture of your lifestyle to understand how beer fits in, and to know when enough is enough.

Exercise helps, but the reality is, most of us beer folks are going to have to work really damn hard to offset (or even put a dent in) beer calories with physical activity. Sad but true; just look at how many calories are in your favorite DIPA, and compare that to how many calories you burn by running on a treadmill for 45 minutes (for example).

That’s why, regardless of whether you drink 1 beer per week or 1 case per week, the best way to “make room” for beer without getting fat is to take a good hard look at what you eat.

I’ve no doubt that in many cases, the term “beer belly” is nothing more than a bad diet misidentified; that is, a food diet that contains too much sugar, too much processed junk, too much indiscriminate empty-calorie snacking, and too little attention to portion sizes at meals.

When it comes to weight management, it’s impossible to overstate the importance of having at least a basic understanding of the impacts of your food choices before you make them. That sounds obvious but I can’t believe how few people seem to be able to, for example, tell the difference between a 400 calorie lunch and 1000+ calorie lunch. That 400 calories is not much but it does not require one to eat cabbage water and carrot sticks—it can easily be achieved by filling a Tupperware container with leftovers from a previous night’s healthy home-cooked dinner. The 1000 calorie option is going to get you on the express lane to Fatville and is pretty much what you’re signing up for when you walk into Jimmy John’s and order one of those foot-long tubes of mayonnaise that they call a sub sandwich. Make it a combo with a big cookie or bag of chips, and that’s several hundred more calories. Even without the cookie and chips, this illustrative example shows an additional 600 calories being consumed over and above what would be contained in a smart-but-still-reasonable lunch – a difference which constitutes roughly 25% of a typical 40ish year-old adult male’s caloric budget for the entire day to maintain a healthy weight – and that’s just one of the day’s meals.

If you don’t bother to learn how to read food labels and identify common calorie traps, you’ll be inclined to eat whatever gets thrown in your face or placed conveniently at arm’s length, without having any understanding of how it’s impacting your weight. And that is a bad situation to be in, because most profit-hungry purveyors of foodstuffs do not hold your health as a top priority when marketing and peddling their wares… shocking, I know, and yet another reason why it’s always best to prepare your own meals from whole foods whenever humanly possible so you know exactly what you’re eating.

Oh, and if you are one who assumes that “healthy food” is synonymous with “bland food,” please get that idea out of your head because it’s not true.

I couldn't agree more with this post. Amazes me how many people don't know how to read a nutrition label and find out when they are putting into their bodies.

Oh, the leftovers from last night's healthy meal are my go-to work lunch. The best is on a Monday where I throw together a container of leftovers from several weekend dinners - little couscous, some grilled pattypans and beets and carrots, couple shrimp, couple chunks of pork tenderloin, little rice, etc.

I couldn't agree more with this post. Amazes me how many people don't know how to read a nutrition label and find out when they are putting into their bodies.

What sucks about that problem is how it ends up discouraging people who might genuinely have an interest in making better choices. A classic example in my experience with some of my close friends would be the guy who desperately wants to get his belly back to the size it was in his 20s, so he makes a promise to himself to overhaul his diet and do things like eat side salads instead of fries, other carbs, and deep fried stuff. He feels this is a big step that takes significant willpower, so it is with great disappointment that after several months of strict adherence to this new policy, he hasn’t lost a single pound, and may have actually put on additional pounds.

“Damn beer is making me fat,” he declares with cold certainty to all who will listen.

But it probably has little to do with beer. Those supposedly “healthy and light” side salads are slathered with a few hundred calories worth of cheese and ranch dressing and are eaten alongside, for example, a big reuben sandwich at Applebees that is covered with butter, “special sauce”, cheese, and Lord knows what else. Or maybe it’s chicken wings at the pub with the boys (chicken is healthy, right? Right… ?) for a cool 1500 or so calories per basket. The net result is that every one of those meals is still well in excess of 1000 calories – maybe in excess of 2000 calories -- salad or not. So the poor guy, no matter how well-intentioned, is habitually killing close to his entire daily calorie budget in a single meal, while having absolutely no idea what, how, or why.

I've been on a lower fat, more veggie diet for a bit to appease my doctor. I've been losing a small amount of weight, mostly due to salads (low less dressing than normal) and simply eating less.

But I bet I can lose even more by kicking beer.

But that's only if I don't substitute something else in place of it, like soda. Yes, zero fat, but plenty of sugars. I'd rather get my carbs in liquid malt barley, thank you very much!

I have found that diet soda does make me hungry, like the recent studies have insinuated. Anything sweet tends to make me hungry. Coffee with cream and sugar in the morning, diet soda, even sweet fruits. I can be hungry, eat an apple, and then be MORE hungry right after!

One thing I've learned is to eat a reasonable amount of food for a meal, then put the damn plate away. Give yourself 20 minutes, doing something to take your mind off of food, and afterward you will likely not even be hungry anymore.

And don't forget the big one in health: Exercise! I find that exercising reduces my desire to eat more. I'm not usually hungry while I'm exercising, and after a good workout I'm more thirsty than hungry. The hardest things are finding time for a good workout, and actually wanting to exercise! Exercise isn't so much to lose weight, but to just generally feel better with more strength and stamina and improved cardiovascular health.

What sucks about that problem is how it ends up discouraging people who might genuinely have an interest in making better choices. A classic example in my experience with some of my close friends would be the guy who desperately wants to get his belly back to the size it was in his 20s, so he makes a promise to himself to overhaul his diet and do things like eat side salads instead of fries, other carbs, and deep fried stuff. He feels this is a big step that takes significant willpower, so it is with great disappointment that after several months of strict adherence to this new policy, he hasn’t lost a single pound, and may have actually put on additional pounds.

“Damn beer is making me fat,” he declares with cold certainty to all who will listen.

But it probably has little to do with beer. Those supposedly “healthy and light” side salads are slathered with a few hundred calories worth of cheese and ranch dressing and are eaten alongside, for example, a big reuben sandwich at Applebees that is covered with butter, “special sauce”, cheese, and Lord knows what else. Or maybe it’s chicken wings at the pub with the boys (chicken is healthy, right? Right… ?) for a cool 1500 or so calories per basket. The net result is that every one of those meals is still well in excess of 1000 calories – maybe in excess of 2000 calories -- salad or not. So the poor guy, no matter how well-intentioned, is habitually killing close to his entire daily calorie budget in a single meal, while having absolutely no idea what, how, or why.

That is the classic approach that leads to failure. Counting calories and going on diets is a great way to understand the big picture but it does little to actually implement the changes needed to stay thin. Then people fall into the "health food" trap and as you describe, they pick an item that is considered or labeled as healthy, and either eat so much that it is just as bad or cover it in fats to make it taste good.

The best way to overhaul your diet is one item at a time and one meal at a time. Start by replacing sweets with fruit. Get used to having fruit around all the time, and eating it for snacks. Do that for a month or two until it is a habit. Then look at entrees and sides. Replace a side with a vegetable. Get used to having vegetables as a portion of every single meal. Now start just picking healthier options for entrees and change what you order at restaurants. Finally start making physical changes. Take the stairs, every time. Park in the back of a parking lot. Ride a bike to work.

I gained a lot of weight because I changed jobs, moved, had our first child and was going to college all at the same time over the course of 18 months. The stress and the sedentary lifestyle my job and school placed me under, and the fact that we were eating fast food all the time without time to cook dinner I gained 30 lbs over that 18 months. But in less than a year, I am back down to my previous weight and have been getting into better shape even though my brewing has increased above what it probably should be. I am not on some rediculuous diet, I just bike to work 3-5 days a week and I eat fruit all the time and cannot remember the last time I had a soda or ate fast food.

You know, one other thing that I found that really helped are almonds. I buy the big bags of raw almonds from costco. Every so often throughout the day I take a handful. Not much, just a couple bites. A couple bites of almonds almost completely satisfies even my greatest hunger pains. It is strange. I can be absolutely starving at 10am, I eat a handful of almonds and most of the time I am not really that hungry when lunch time rolls around at noon. So I eat a smaller meal at noon. I do the same thing around 2pm.

Know what's surprisingly satisfying for dinner? 6-8 oz of a meat/protein and two different kinds of veggie - even better on the grill. 6 oz of salmon and a heap of grilled carrots and another heap of grilled broccoli (it can be done). An 8 oz fillet mignon and a pile of grilled sliced beets and some sweet corn or potatoes steamed with just a little butter. Too bland? Add a crap ton of garlic.

And FWIW, I know some folks (especially dudes) pooh-pooh it, but Weight Watchers does a fantastic job of getting members to redefine their relationship with and understanding of food, and they do a great job of helping members to unlearn bad things they learned before.

scale-doesnt-measure-sexy.jpg

Latest posts

Back