Worst Food-Beer Pairing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fizzycist

Reaction score
I was just drinking a pretty nice porter when I decided I was hungry, so I wrapped up a tortilla with some peanut butter and nutella (yeah, yeah, shut up). Anyway, the peanut butter tasted fine but suddenly the porter was nearly undrinkable. Blech! You guys got any surprisingly bad food-beer pairings?

what the hell is wrong with applebees. haha hate that place. i dislike white chocolate for the same reason as above...

I don't mind chocolate and a malty beer. Bedubs here was serving blue moon winter abbey ale in a glass rimmed with cinnamon sugar, it was surprisingly good.

Good chocolate ice cream stout float is pretty darn good.

IPA and anything is bad. I'd imagine pb & nutella tortilla and anything is probably the worst food beer pairing.

ive done a few beer dinners with IPAs. i tend to lead toward a salty food, some mexican food has worked pretty well and just about any thing with char on it.

Maybe in moderation. I had a bad experience as a teenager. I got too drunk and a friend made brownies and I ate a few. Later that night it ended poorly. I enjoy an ocassional chocolate stout or porter but the thought of eating chocolate while drinking makes me a little sick.

I don't trust any homemade brownies here in California...I always end up craving cheetos and ordering pizza :)

Have you ever been to a beer dinner? If you haven't I suggest attending one b/c I've been to a few and always find it amazing how they pair the craft beers with food.

The last one I went to they made a salad dressing from the paired beer, it was an awesome combination. And at another they paired a chocolate covered dessert with some type of chocolate stout, I'll tell you that dinner was the one that sparked my interest in brewing. Yummo!

Have you ever been to a beer dinner? If you haven't I suggest attending one b/c I've been to a few and always find it amazing how they pair the craft beers with food.

yeah, ive done a couple of them. im a cook. me and some chef friends did a 6 coarse dinner last year. turned out pretty damn amazing.

Try IPA with curry or spicy fried chicken.

Chocolate and beer?!?! It's a natural with imperial stouts/porters. Or try a dark chocolate tart paired with a raspberry lambic -- that will change your tone real quick ;)

the last dinner i did...here's the menu

California Common
Yellowtail Crudo
blood orange, radish

Belgian Quadrupel
Housemade Sausage
pickeled beets, onion, cabbage

Barleywine
Risotto
farro, mushroom, greens

Sour Stout
Venison
lingonberry, butter beans

Imperial Stout
Cheesecake
goat, apple

Mead & Biscuit

Good chocolate ice cream stout float is pretty darn good.

IPA and anything is bad. I'd imagine pb & nutella tortilla and anything is probably the worst food beer pairing.

As a matter of fact I had one tonight. Chocolate milk stout and vanilla ice cream to be exact. And yes, it was delicious.

float.jpg

Sour Stout
Venison
lingonberry, butter beans

Wow, sign me up. That sounds amazing.

I went to one recently where they paired Goose Island's Sofie with a shellfish chorizo and some grilled octopus and leeks. Never in a million years would I have thought to pair Mexican style sausage with Belgian style beer, but it was one of the best pairings I've ever had.

Wow, sign me up. That sounds amazing.

I went to one recently where they paired Goose Island's Sofie with a shellfish chorizo and some grilled octopus and leeks. Never in a million years would I have thought to pair Mexican style sausage with Belgian style beer, but it was one of the best pairings I've ever had.

Walter likes lingonberries, too? I thought that was just the nihilists.

Had a barrel aged old Rasputin, got halfway through it and SWMBO can home with Mexican food. That's a good way to kill a 20$ beer.

( the half of it I had before Mexican food was delicious though)

Back