Portable keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cos

Reaction score
What do you guys think of these corny keg setups using the 16 gram co2 chargers? I realize you still have to carbonate with sugar, but at least no more bottles to clean and sterilize.

http://stores.kegconnection.com/Cat...ew+Keg+Kits,+Complete+Kits!:Portable+Keg+Kits

How long will one of those 16 gram chargers last?

Also, with a picnic tapper, is there any problem with the co2 bleeding off or beer going flat? Is a faucet type tapper better?

I've got one of the chargers. I thought it would be great for bringing kegs to parties, but after burning through five cartridges dispensing one corny, my enthusiasm waned. Furthermore, the pressure is entirely unregulated and sooner or later somebody will pull the trigger too many times and blow your cobra tap right off...instant beer shower!

Now I've got three Co2 tank/regulator combos, so I just bring one along. I also bring the mini-charger, just as a backup.

Picnic taps work fine. Just make sure you have at least six feet of hose to prevent foaming. Skip the Co2 cartridge charger though, it's not a long-term use kind of solution. In fact, it's a pretty mediocre short-term solution!

I would go with a 5lb bottle with a reg that has no gauges just to minimize the size and possibility of breakage. I do have the charger too but I'm always worried that as the night goes drunker someone will do the wrong thing with it.

I use these chargers on occasion. It usually takes 2-3 cartridges to dispense a 5 gallon keg. I make sure I don't leave the charger on the keg. I keep it in my pocket until someone complains that the keg isn't pouring and then I give it a shot. If I don't do it this way, it takes 5-6 cartridges for a keg.

Wayne
Bugeater Brewing Company

The few times I have brought a keg somewhere I have used the chargers and go through 3-4 to dispense 1 keg. Since I don't travel with my kegs very often I don't have a problem with it, if I was bringing my kegs somewhere every weekend (or even once a month) I'd invest in another CO2 bottle.

Back