Maple Bacon Beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

klawdawg

Reaction score
Trying to come up with a bacon maple porter. Any suggestions on this? Thinking on baking the bacon in oven and dry hopping with it. For the maple part, using a syrup addition or smoking grain over maple? Anyone tried this?

I'm thinking of trying a 6 litre or so experiment. I'm instead going to use the Hormel crumbled bacon as I would think it would be leaner as far as bacon is concerned than just frying or baking my own. I'll add it to the last 10 minutes of the boil.

What about adding those bacon bits like you put on salads? Could add it when adding your hops.

It may sound strange, but do you guys have Bovril? I had a pint a couple of months ago and it was strangely quite meaty in flavour. It also looked just like stout. I was thinking about adding it into one of mine to see what it is like. If you have it or something similar, maybe you could try it?

That hormel stuff is basically bacon bits. Bovril is I believe artificially flavoured but here in Canada at least we have a natural paste called "better than boullion" which comes in several different flavours (not bacon unfortunately). Never really thought about beef chicken or turkey beer.

What about using something like Marmite instead, then? I think here Bovril is natural, but I would need to look into it to confirm.

I have a brewing book with quite a lot of strange recipes in it, one of them is "Cock ale" and says you should put in the bones, skin and neck of a roasted chicken in. Not tried it myself, but I would just substitute that with a Knor chicken stock cube. Haha When I get home I will look the ingredients up in the book for you and post then on here. Something different.

Maybe just chop some up and throw it into the boil? Then just filter the wort though a muslin cloth to remove it. It will cook it in the boil so it won't do any damage to you. But it should release some flavour too. One of my old bosses used to make flavoured vodka, she tried it with bacon and said it didn't work. Still, worth a try though. Experimenting is what it is all about. :)

What about using something like Marmite instead, then? I think here Bovril is natural, but I would need to look into it to confirm.

I have a brewing book with quite a lot of strange recipes in it, one of them is "Cock ale" and says you should put in the bones, skin and neck of a roasted chicken in. Not tried it myself, but I would just substitute that with a Knor chicken stock cube. Haha When I get home I will look the ingredients up in the book for you and post then on here. Something different.

Those cubes are mostly salt. I would make a homemade chicken stock instead: take the bones, skin, and neck of a roasted chicken, put in a pot of water and hold just below a simmer for a few hours. strain, skim any floating scum and fat, and use that water to mash with.

I didn't like Rogue's version of this

I also had this beer and thought it tasted just like breakfast. Pancakes and bacon with maple syrup poured over the top. That being said im glad i tried it, but if I had more would only use it to cook with

klawdawg said:
Trying to come up with a bacon maple porter. Any suggestions on this? Thinking on baking the bacon in oven and dry hopping with it. For the maple part, using a syrup addition or smoking grain over maple? Anyone tried this?

For our smoked bacon porter we use a good quality bacon, it is from a local butcher. It is a lean salt cured shoulder cut bacon. The key is as little fat as possible. We then bake the bacon @350 on parchment paper to suck up the grease. Then the bacon is added to the secondary. 1lb uncooked per 5 gallons add a nice subtle bacon flavor.

I also had this beer and thought it tasted just like breakfast. Pancakes and bacon with maple syrup poured over the top. That being said im glad i tried it, but if I had more would only use it to cook with

I don't want breakfast at your house!
A buddy and I drove three hours to Portland to try it at rouge's brew pub.
I couldn't finish it.
The other beers were good and our other stops were good so between that and satisfying our curiosity it was still a worth while trip.

For the syrup, for all that's holy, DON'T use the grade A crap. Go with grade B syrup if you want to actually have flavor in there. I used some grade A in a brown ale and couldn't even tell it was there. Now all I use is grade B (stuff tastes so much better/stronger than grade A) for anything/everything I use maple syrup with/in. I'm about to bottle my 14% maple mead/wine that used all grade B syrup. Smelled divine while in process (a full year). I would occasionally vent the aging vessel (an adapted sanke keg) and the smell coming out of it made my mouth water. Once I see how this batch came out, I plan to mix up another. I have around 9-11 quarts of the syrup on hand still (so sue me :D) so I should be good for a 3-4 gallon batch of any strength I wish. :rockin:

I don't want breakfast at your house!
A buddy and I drove three hours to Portland to try it at rouge's brew pub.
I couldn't finish it.
The other beers were good and our other stops were good so between that and satisfying our curiosity it was still a worth while trip.

Ha, i couldnt finish it either. I let the rest go flat and used it in my pancake batter the next day.

Mumbly said:
For our smoked bacon porter we use a good quality bacon, it is from a local butcher. It is a lean salt cured shoulder cut bacon. The key is as little fat as possible. We then bake the bacon @350 on parchment paper to suck up the grease. Then the bacon is added to the secondary. 1lb uncooked per 5 gallons add a nice subtle bacon flavor.

How long do you leave the beer in secondary on the bacon? And how "subtle" is the flavor?

Ha, i couldnt finish it either. I let the rest go flat and used it in my pancake batter the next day.

I was at the brewpub so I gave it to my buddy. He didn't like it either but he hates to see beer go to waste and he drinks Busch at home. He drank one and a half of those nasty things.
The next time I went to a Rouge brew pub they had another Voodoo beer.
Banana peanut butter? I don't remember but this time the bartender gave us each one of the sample glasses. Not good. Pissed off one of the bartenders in there good while I being me. By accident. She ignored us the rest of the night.

The good news is that the second time we went to a Rouge brew pub we also had other entertainment lined up and all was good.
When we get out of town, we have to line up as much fun as we can have. Life in a small town.

I've come to the conclusion that Rouge brew pubs aren't worth the effort.
They range from strange and nasty beer to pretty good. Above average in fact. Great seems to elude them though. They do charge like it's great.

Rogue makes one of these and it's awesome. dont know what I would do with 5 gallons of it though. It's extremely rich.

I'm not sure about any of the ingredients but my boss made a bacon porter by smoking his grains in a smoker after he cooked pork in it. It was great and after a few seconds you forgot you just drank beer and thought you ate some bacon.

I didn't like Rogue's version of this beer

http://rogue.com/beers/voodoo-bacon-maple.php

but very interested to try doing this myself

this is pretty much what I was going to say.

The next time I went to a Rouge brew pub they had another Voodoo beer.
Banana peanut butter? I don't remember but this time the bartender gave us each one of the sample glasses. Not good. Pissed off one of the bartenders in there good while I being me. By accident. She ignored us the rest of the night.

I've come to the conclusion that Rouge brew pubs aren't worth the effort.
They range from strange and nasty beer to pretty good. Above average in fact. Great seems to elude them though. They do charge like it's great.

Ya, I think it it's a Chocolate Peanut Butter Banana Stout. I don't like peanut butter, so I never plan to try it. Rogue's Double Chocolate Stout is really good, but it's kind of hard to find. Other than that, Rogue is only alright IMO.

Back