use finings in an IPA, or no?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

meadmazer

Reaction score
Hello all

I dont mind a bit of haze in my glass, but if I wanted a nice clear IPA, will finings strip out much hop flavor and/or aroma?

Can finings be used after primary has slowed down, then dry hop?
After dry hop?

Eric

I fined a wit with Isinglass and it came out very clear. I didn't lose any of the subtle orange, coriander, chamomile character. It is very lightly hopped but I think the spices are a good indicator.

Cold crash for 48 hours before kegging or bottling and you beer should be clear.

I extend the time in primary before dry-hopping (usually three-four weeks) and then cold-crash with good results without finings. They can help if you plan to go grain to glass quickly, though.

I agree with all, cold crashing is generally all I do. I fined the wit as an experiment and there were no negative outcomes. For the OP, my input is meant to show it does no harm, but cold crashing and time work just as well.

Back