Power connectors

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kerklein2

Reaction score
I'm slowly piecing together my eHERMS system and was just struck when I clicked on the power connectors that The Electric Brewery uses at how damn expensive they are. I looked around and found these very quickly. They are rated to 30A, 1500V, are locking, have built in strain relief, have 4 poles, and no contacts are exposed. Not to mention they look sweet and are small. And they are $4.44 a piece. The panel mount version is $3.44.

http://www.alliedelec.com/search/productdetail.aspx?SKU=70214573#tab=specs

http://www.alliedelec.com/search/productdetail.aspx?SKU=70214199

They seem too good to be true.

Am I missing something?

These are what I am planning to use. Neutrik also makes these.

Edit, I was planning on using Neutrik powercons for my elements, but they are only 3 pole, so they will not work for the power input to my panel. Thanks for mentioning these, now I can use them for the input as well, instead of a L-14-30 (which I already have, but it was free, and the switchcraft is much smaller).

I guess I'll use this for the input, 30a powercons for my elements, and 15a powercons for my pumps. That way, I can't accidentally plug the wrong thing in...

For those that don't know, these are primarily used in the professional audio and lighting industries (what I do).

These are what I am planning to use. Neutrik also makes these.

Edit, I was planning on using Neutrik powercons for my elements, but they are only 3 pole, so they will not work for the power input to my panel. Thanks for mentioning these, now I can use them for the input as well, instead of a L-14-30 (which I already have, but it was free, and the switchcraft is much smaller).

I guess I'll use this for the input, 30a powercons for my elements, and 15a powercons for my pumps. That way, I can't accidentally plug the wrong thing in...

For those that don't know, these are primarily used in the professional audio and lighting industries (what I do).

They should market them elsewhere as they are awesome connectors for the price!

I just built a control panel. I would have used those if I had seen them. much better than $40 for the twist lock matching set.

I work at a company that vulcanizes rubber and they are using these connectors to control the heating elements. I plan to use the same ones. Good luck to you.

looking at these again:

The first time I have only looked on my iphone, and assumed these were Switchcrafts answer to Neutrik's PowerCon connectors. In fact, it is Switchcraft's version of Neutrik's Speakon line of connectors. While technically rated for the voltage and current, they are not intended by the manufacturer to be used as a mains power connector. They are used and marketed as a speaker connector. This is most evident in the fact that there is a panel connector, and a cable connector. There are not differently keyed "input" and "output" connectors. Neutrik's PowerCon connectors (which are designed specifically for power connections) are keyed differently for power in and power out. They are currently only available in three pole configurations however...

Here are Neutrik PowerCON connectors

http://www2.neutrik.com/us/en/industry/203_1970434001/powerCON_group.aspx

If you go to Switchcrafts webpage, you see them clearly listed as loudspeaker connectors.

http://www.switchcraft.com/productsummary.aspx?Parent=881

I'm not saying you shouldn't use them, just something to consider.

Yeah, the lack of separate versions for power in and power out is the only downside. I plan to color code mine with some tape or marker or something to tell the difference. I'll also separate the power in and power out panel connectors on the control box so they aren't next to each other.

Wow these are awesome!

Even found them cheaper locally at partsexpress.com

I might have to build a new CP as having pump In same enclosure hasn't been to beneficial.

Does anyone have recommendations for cable to use. They have patch cables but they are almost 40 for 5ft.

I am really considering switching to these connectors, according to their website they are rated for 40A continuous power. That being said I wouldn't be able to use them as a main power if looking to run 50A 2x element setup. It looks as though it would be about $15 in connectors to place a female socket on HLT/Boil and also on control panel. Sure beat the price of twist locks. Here are the parts I'm considering using:

Male Connector $3.94
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=092-190

Female Socket $3.15
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=092-067

They also offer a drip boot, which might be a good option to consider for the future.

Just talked with partsexpress, they can order in the alternate color bushing to allow color coding.

I am really considering switching to these connectors, according to their website they are rated for 40A continuous power. That being said I wouldn't be able to use them as a main power if looking to run 50A 2x element setup. It looks as though it would be about $15 in connectors to place a female socket on HLT/Boil and also on control panel. Sure beat the price of twist locks. Here are the parts I'm considering using:

Male Connector $3.94
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=092-190

Female Socket $3.15
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=092-067

They also offer a drip boot, which might be a good option to consider for the future.

Just talked with partsexpress, they can order in the alternate color bushing to allow color coding.

So I just noticed that Neutrik says this on their datasheet: "speakON is NOT to be used as an AC mains or power supply connector!"

I don't see any similar warning with the Switchcraft connectors.

FWIW I would not use these. They seem to be made for speaker use only.

Kal

Care to elaborate on why? They are made for speakers, yes, but seem to be rated to more far more than what we need.

Care to elaborate on why? They are made for speakers, yes, but seem to be rated to more far more than what we need.
These are not rated for high-voltage.

I used cheap 240V appliance cable/plugs and cheap outlets. Applying 240V to 120V connectors is just evil.

AlteredEgo said:
These are not rated for high-voltage.

I used cheap 240V appliance cable/plugs and cheap outlets. Applying 240V to 120V connectors is just evil.

Actually, they seem to be rated for plenty of current and voltage. I am guessing the UL rating does not apply to power wiring.

Actually, they seem to be rated for plenty of current and voltage. I am guessing the UL rating does not apply to power wiring.

Hmm. UL 1977 seems to cover "power applications".

1.1 These requirements cover single and multipole connectors, intended for factory assembly to copper or copper alloy conductors or printed wiring boards, for use in data, signal, control and power applications within and between electrical equipment.

kerklein2 said:
Hmm. UL 1977 seems to cover "power applications".

1.1 These requirements cover single and multipole connectors, intended for factory assembly to copper or copper alloy conductors or printed wiring boards, for use in data, signal, control and power applications within and between electrical equipment.

I guess I guessed wrong;) Does Neutrik have the same UL listing?

MIL-STD 202 Method 301: Dielectric Withstanding Voltage

Has nothing to do with operating voltage.

Can you explain how it has nothing to do with operating voltage? The description of the test is below.

Method 301: Dielectric Withstanding Voltage

Dielectric Withstanding Voltage, also known as hipot, over-potential, voltage breakdown or dielectric strength, is a measure of the strength of the component’s insulation. A high (AC or DC) voltage is applied between the components operating circuits and chassis ground to determine if/when a breakdown will occur in the insulation of the component. The current is measured between the component insulation and ground. The purpose of the dielectric withstand voltage test is to prove that the component can operate safely at its rated voltage and withstand over-voltage that may occur in switching or surges.

The apparatus required by MIL-STD 202 for Method 301 includes a high voltage source (60Hz), a voltmeter (5% accuracy), a leakage current measuring device (5% accuracy) and a fault indicator. It requires the voltage be ramped up at a rate of 500Vrms DC/sec and a test time of 60 seconds.

Can you explain how it has nothing to do with operating voltage?

...over-voltage

...60 seconds.

The 1500V is over voltage. The operating voltage is not listed. Don't you wonder why?? You might want to activate it for more than 60 seconds.

The 1500V is over voltage. The operating voltage is not listed. Don't you wonder why?? You might want to activate it for more than 60 seconds.

I'm no expert, but it seems that if the breakdown voltage is 1500V at 60s, that 240V continuous should be no problem.

kerklein2 said:
I'm no expert, but it seems that if the breakdown voltage is 1500V at 60s, that 240V continuous should be no problem.

I think an email to Switchcraft would be the best way to know for sure. These components are intended for audio applications but that does not necessarily exclude them from a power application.

I think an email to Switchcraft would be the best way to know for sure. These components are intended for audio applications but that does not necessarily exclude them from a power application.

I'm really curious what their answer might be. I'm thinking there's a good chance they'll say "NO" for power applications, simply as a cover-your-a$$ maneuver...

Acidjazz54 said:
I work at a company that vulcanizes rubber and they are using these connectors to control the heating elements. I plan to use the same ones. Good luck to you.

What kind of power do the elements draw and for what length of time? An email to the company is good but personal experience is better!

Yeah, that "email to Switchcraft" thing....I was hoping someone else would do that;)
I'll be that someone else.

So, should the question to Switchcraft be:
HPCC4F
HPCP41F
Can these connectors be used in the supplying of 220 Volts, 30 amps of power to a 5500w heating element?

If not, then please suggest how to re-word the question (believe it’s really closer to 23 amps for my system but the breaker in the main panel is 30amps).

This is how I’d like to use these:
Panel mounted receptacles on my panel and also on the caps I'll make for the heating elements and make leads to go between. Do others want to also ask if they could be used to supply power to the panel as well, if so how that should be worded, should I ask about 50 amps too?

Guys,

I just talked to my boss at work who is a bit of a high voltage expert, and he said connectors designed for "mains" connection should have a withstand test of 2300V (or 3000V on the new standard) and that he didn't recommend using these.

Back