Newby needing equipment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

punktilend

Reaction score
Hey guys, so I'm in need of some info. I want to start brewing an I want to start with something easy but not. I'm wanting to brew an IPA and have yet to buy any equipment yet. I have plenty of friends who home brew but I have yet helped them to know what to do. Any suggestions on equipment would be wonderful and or ideas of brewing in general. Thanks!

Do you have a budget in mind? There is such a wide range of equipment and ways of doing things. I got my start with a kit from morebeer.com. They have different levels of kits depending on how much you want to spend. I would also suggest getting some homebrew books and start researching as much as you can before you purchase a setup. It's a bummer buying things and then wishing you would have gone another way after you learn a bit more.

Northern Brewer's Deluxe kit has everything you need except a pot, ingredients and bottles. That is the one I started with. I opted for better bottles and have added equipment over 5 months and do all grain now. I still use everything in the kit.

I agree with BryceL. Read up and decide what you need for the type of brewing you wish to do.

Start small and work towards educating yourself before making steps to upgrade your equipment. I stared with cooper cans. This is a very inexpensive way to learn the lingo and practice your sanitation. If a coopers batch of beer goes bad because of bad sanitation that is a bummer. If an all grain batch goes bad because of sanitation you could very well go crazy. Once you figure that stuff out I would step up to partial mashes. This is where you start dabbling in specialty grains in your beer. After this if you are a complete nut about brewing then start looking into how to make mashtuns and buy 10 gallon (min size) boil pots. If you are decide you want to make your own recipes I would suggest the book "Designing Great Beers." I would also suggest getting a subscription to BYO or Zymurgy. They have great articles ranging from recipes to the latest myths about brewing. Honestly the sky is the limit. Actually your bank account is the limit.

I wish out of anything,,,,,I had started brewing outside earlier....not to have to worry about the mess and resulting cleanup....so, if I were to start again....I would start with a turkey fryer...and just buckets as fermenters...

Craiglist WTB
I am a novice brewer, with the hopes to getting as good as I can get quickly! In order to do so I am looking for some supplies, i have enough to get by for now, but always looking for more. In no particular order, this is what I am looking for:

6 gallon Carboy - glass or plastic
5 gallon carboy - glass or plastic
6 gallon fermenting pail - plastic
5 gallon cornelius keg (Corny keg) - Ball Lock
10 gallon stainless steel brewing pot or converted Keg
Bottles of all kinds
Propane burner with stand, LP
CO2 tank
kegging equipment - CO2 regulators, taps, connectors

keywords: homebrew, home brew, homebrewing, home brewing, keg, kegs, beer, carboy, ferment, fermenting, ferment

brooklynbrewshop.com

1-gallon kits come with just about everything you need. Still need to have a large pot and strainer, but after that, your basically good. Not the greatest set-up for long-term or big batch brewing, but perfect for the beginner kitchen brewer. Great for experimenting and actually learning first hand where you want to go with your hobby, and of course, its cheap!

Thanks for all the great replies. I have been getting tips and pointers from a bunch of local big beer brewers and have signed up with a brew club. Having a blast and making good beer

Back