Closed Fermenter During Dry-Hop?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

barrooze

Reaction score
Hey, I'm wondering if you guys completely close your fermenter when dry-hopping? My fermentation is pretty much completely finished and I'm just adding some pellets for a few days before conditioning the brew. I have my airlock still on it and when I swirled the carboy to distribute the pellets, a lot of aroma came out the airlock. I'm thinking if I cap it, I'll keep that aroma in the beer, or at least, keep more of it.

What are your thoughts? Thanks.

I would just keep the airlock on as is. If the airlock has stopped bubbling and your primary fermentation is done, I wouldn't worry about driving off aroma from the dry hopping.

I agree, but when I agitate and swirl the carboy, CO2 is being driven off which causes more bubbling. It's not fermenting any more, but just off-gassing. And it smells tasty!

I close mine, usually because when I dryhop, I do it in the carboy in a hop bag.

I keep mine closed also. Since fermentation has stopped, there is no more CO2 buffer zone to prevent bacteria from getting into the beer.

Back