HLT Element Leak issues

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BulldogBrewer

Reaction score
Hey all, I feel like I'm missing something here, and maybe the experts can help me get this element attached right. I'm trying to leak test my HLT element.

2011-08-20%25252010.04.01.jpg

If I keep the black gasket that came with the element (as seen in the picture) AND the orange gasket that came with the nut from bargainfittings, with the keg wall in between the two, I just can't get the nut to thread on.

If I remove the stock gasket, I get it on and tightened down, but it leaks pretty badly.

I'm wondering what else I can try.

Did you try just the stock (black) o-ring? You never use two o-rings together. You could use the orange o-ring on the liquid side with the nut (but you'll need something like a washer I'd imagine to push against the o-ring) and then remove the black one. I've never used this setup before so I'm just throwing out ideas here.

Thanks guys! I ditched the O-ring (orange) and went with just the stock black gasket and that seems to be working much better. Based on the diagram from bargainfittings, it looked like the o-ring was used on the liquid side with the stock gasket on the outside, but I could just not get that to work.

This is a step in the right direction. Much appreciated.

I dropped the black gasket and just used the orange o-ring on the inside. A whole lot of teflon tape got it to the point where it wouldn't leak. But now it works great. I really think the secret is to wrap the whole thing with teflon tape a bunch of times before screwing it all together.

Use the orange one... It's rated to higher temperatures than the black one!

Back