What type of beer did I make?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davidicus

Reaction score
I picked up a kit from a garage sale that had some ingredients in it already, and I'm not sure what type of beer I will end up with.

I had a box of LME that was pre hoppped Light, but was actually very dark due to some aging. After a phone call, the guys from the company swore it was still viable so I went with it.
I had a bag of grain that I used, but don't know what type of grain it was. Looked like wheat...
I bought new yeast and Hallertau hops as a finisher.

Everything is fermenting and bubbling away, and in my second week of fermentation, it appears that everything is doing what it's supposed to, but the problem is I don't know what the type/characteristics of the beer that I am making are. It is very dark, and as this is my first brewing attempt I just don't know what to expect.

Anyone have any ideas?

You would have to give us more info. Like, how many pound of extract, what type and how many ounces of hops, etc etc etc. Anything you can give us would help us out. The only thing I can say for sure is it's an ale.

It was 3.3 lbs. of Muntons Hopped Light LME, and a little over an ounce of finishing hops. I don't have any pics, but it looks like Guinness in color, with a rich brown froth on top of the fermenting wort.
The kit didn't have instructions, or specifications, so all of my brewing was done from what I learned here. I think the brewing part came together well, with no disasters on brew day, so hopefully whatever it is, it will taste like beer?

It had a bag of grain with it that I steeped in the beginning, but not sure what type of grain it was (newbie). Also bought and used fresh yeast, but can't remember what type it was.
It made a 5 gallon batch.

Without knowing the type of grain used and yeast used there is no way to tell what your going to get.

Don't worry about what it will be for you first beer just bottle it, condition, and drink up.

Next time just write down what you did and at what time during the brew process. This will help you greatly down the road.

Yeah, that makes sense. I actually had my blank recipe outline all ready and in the heat of the moment I forgot to use it. Thanks for the advice everyone, I guess I'll have beer, and that's good enough for me.

With only 3.3 pounds, it's going to be really weak. The strongest LME I found in Beersmith gave a 5.0 gallon batch an OG of 1.026. You will end up with very dark (it sounds like) slightly alcoholic beer flavored water. You were missing some ingredients.

post back when you've tasted it and tell us what it tastes like. you don't have much detail, so we aren't going to be able to tell you much. by telling us that the extract was "dark" doesn't really say that much. Most extracts are at least relatively dark b/c they are so concentrated.

Back