Over primed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yzf426scott

Reaction score
So I bottled my first high gravity beer about five weeks ago prior to bottling posted a question about how much priming sugar to use and the answers were very mixed so I just went with my norm 3/4cup corn sugar four weeks later one bottle blew the bottom out so I moved them all into the fridge to reduce pressure and hope to make the yeast go dormant well last night I opened a bottle and right after taking cap off the head ran over the top so I started to poor into a glass basically all head finally
Got to drink and it tastes good but is over carbed is there anything I can do at this point to releave the bottles and let some co2 out without ruining my beer

A few questions.

Are you sure that you over carbed with that amount? Most of the time gushers may indicate that you have an infection in your beer...

A good test for this is get a sanitized clean glass and pour one of your beers in it... Then cover with a piece of saran wrap the co2 will leak out the sides as it off-gas's. Once all the carbonation is out take a look at it after about 3 days... if there is a skin or anything forming on the top of it that isnt head, there is a pretty good indication that you have an infection... You should leave the covered beer glass either in a very clean refrigerator or very clean envrionment that isnt very hot...

A few questions.

Are you sure that you over carbed with that amount? Most of the time gushers may indicate that you have an infection in your beer...

A good test for this is get a sanitized clean glass and pour one of your beers in it... Then cover with a piece of saran wrap the co2 will leak out the sides as it off-gas's. Once all the carbonation is out take a look at it after about 3 days... if there is a skin or anything forming on the top of it that isnt head, there is a pretty good indication that you have an infection... You should leave the covered beer glass either in a very clean refrigerator or very clean envrionment that isnt very hot...
Ok so I've done what you said I should do I guess I missed the part about sanitized glass and not very hot but anyway I poured the beer into a clean glass with suran wrap over the top and put it in the same closet that I ferment in about 70 degrees it's been there 3 days and nothing is forming on the top so now what should I do

Pat, I'd like to buy some punctuation. :D

Your posts are incredibly hard for my old eyes to read, but I think you're asking if the beer is not infected what to do?

Chill the beer and keep it cold. Try one in three days after chilling. If it's still overcarbed, then I'd gently open the caps and recap them. That should help.

I'm sorry for no punctuation and appreciate the sarcasm if you read my original post I said that i have already put them in the fridge but anyway I will try uncaping and re caping thanks for the advice

I'm sorry for no punctuation and appreciate the sarcasm if you read my original post I said that i have already put them in the fridge but anyway I will try uncaping and re caping thanks for the advice

Don't mean any sarcasm at all. I'm older, and have trouble reading textspeak and sentences without punctuation. Not an issue at all if you don't want responses from oldtimers like me, but it sounded like you could use some advice as no one else with much experience can read your questions, either.

Don't worry- I won't respond to any more of your queries. You'll be safe from my sarcams.

Well I do apologize and I believe in my last response I said that I appreciate the advice and I would give it a shot so again thank you for the advice I do appreciate it and of coarse I need anyones advice especially "old timers" typically you guys no better than anyone that's why I come here for advise thanks again

Latest posts

Back