How does the whole Soda Keg thing work?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonmclean2

Reaction score
I am curious about soda kegs. Do I ferment my beer in them and then hook them up to a kegerator? Or do I transfer fermented beer into them? Are they easy to clean? What is the whole O ring or seal thing about? Advantages/Disadvantages? Any help is appreciated.

Some people ferment in them, but that really is a minority. Most people just transfer fermented beer into them for serving.

The top of a keg looks like this:
1%205%20Gallon%20Pin%20Lock%20Keg%20copy.jpg

That top pops out, and has this big rubber O ring like this:
NEWlidvalveCOLLAGE3.jpg

Just closing the lid won't create a good seal, so you have to apply pressure (via a CO2 tank, with a regulator) to "seat" the lid. The pressure pushes the lid up, the O ring makes the seal.

They are stainless steel, and extremely easy to clean.

The biggest advantage is that you don't have to bottle anymore. You can also fine tune your carbonation level, and also pour a pint whenever you want one.

Disadvantages are cost (kegerator, CO2 tank, regulator, lines, taps etc), and the space the kegerator and extra kegs takes up.

This is a good basic kit
I ended up upgrading to the 2 keg, and dual body regulator kit. The dual body regulator means you can have 2 kegs at 2 different pressures. Otherwise, with 1 body, even if you split the line, every keg you hook up has to be set at the same pressure. This isn't advantageous if you want to carbonate one beer, which requires higher pressure, and serve another, which requires lower pressure.

Thanks, this was really helpful. I like the idea of the 2 keg kit. What is the size of the soda kegs? I take it with this setup I would be able to server beer after 2-3 weeks once the ferementation is done and the beer has settled? No need to bottle or use priming suger. Thanks again the photos helped illustraight it for me.

It holds 5 gallons

My typical schedule is:

-ferment for 3-4 weeks (or whatever you usually do)
-transfer to clean, sanitized keg
-hook up to gas, and stick in kegerator
-let sit for ~2 weeks @ determined PSI for desired carbonation. This is pretty easy. There are charts that tell you what pressure to set it at, depending on the temperature.
-After the beer is carbonated, adjust to serving pressure and enjoy!

I sometimes naturally carb the keg too. I use beersmith to tell me how much priming sugar to add. Its usually less than if you were bottling. You then seat the lid, and let it sit at room temp for 2-3 weeks to carb.

Some people ferment in them, but that really is a minority. Most people just transfer fermented beer into them for serving.

The top of a keg looks like this:
1%205%20Gallon%20Pin%20Lock%20Keg%20copy.jpg

That top pops out, and has this big rubber O ring like this:
NEWlidvalveCOLLAGE3.jpg

Just closing the lid won't create a good seal, so you have to apply pressure (via a CO2 tank, with a regulator) to "seat" the lid. The pressure pushes the lid up, the O ring makes the seal.

They are stainless steel, and extremely easy to clean.

The biggest advantage is that you don't have to bottle anymore. You can also fine tune your carbonation level, and also pour a pint whenever you want one.

Disadvantages are cost (kegerator, CO2 tank, regulator, lines, taps etc), and the space the kegerator and extra kegs takes up.

This is a good basic kit
I ended up upgrading to the 2 keg, and dual body regulator kit. The dual body regulator means you can have 2 kegs at 2 different pressures. Otherwise, with 1 body, even if you split the line, every keg you hook up has to be set at the same pressure. This isn't advantageous if you want to carbonate one beer, which requires higher pressure, and serve another, which requires lower pressure.

So, these kits are all complete? all you would need to do is sanitize and transfer to the kegs.. Oh, and fill your co2 tank. What does that cost to get it filled? I know prices are different everywhere.

what is the difference between pin lock and ball lock? which is better?

Pin lock (Pepsi-style) quick disconnects have a twist-on fitting. They're a bit harder to come by and from what I understand they're a bit taller so be aware of that if you're going to try and squeeze one into a mini-fridge.

Ball lock (Coke-style) quick disconnects have a pop-on style. A lot easier to come by and easier to find parts for unless it has a "racetrack" shaped lid.

If you find a few pin locks dirt cheap, go ahead and pick them up and you'll be able to find everything you need online to recondition them. Replacing the o-rings gets rid of the soda syrup taste out of them. I've had to replace a couple of poppets too so that they'd

kwaidonjinseal said:
So, these kits are all complete? all you would need to do is sanitize and transfer to the kegs.. Oh, and fill your co2 tank. What does that cost to get it filled? I know prices are different everywhere.

I don't know what's in the kits. Probably everything you need except the CO2 tank will be empty. It costs me $11 to get my 10-lb tank refilled at a local keg store -- $10 if I went up to a welding supply store a bit further away. I could exchange the tank at the LHBS for $17.

To transfer into the keg, the simplest method is to just remove the lid and siphon out of your fermenter into the keg. Put the lid back on and hook it up to the gas. If you were worried about oxidation from splashing, you could hook up a quick disconnect and a tube off of the "beer out" side and then hook the tube up to your siphon to fill from the bottom up.

Pin lock (Pepsi-style) quick disconnects have a twist-on fitting. They're a bit harder to come by and from what I understand they're a bit taller so be aware of that if you're going to try and squeeze one into a mini-fridge.

Ball lock (Coke-style) quick disconnects have a pop-on style. A lot easier to come by and easier to find parts for unless it has a "racetrack" shaped lid.

If you find a few pin locks dirt cheap, go ahead and pick them up and you'll be able to find everything you need online to recondition them. Replacing the o-rings gets rid of the soda syrup taste out of them. I've had to replace a couple of poppets too so that they'd

I don't know what's in the kits. Probably everything you need except the CO2 tank will be empty. It costs me $11 to get my 10-lb tank refilled at a local keg store -- $10 if I went up to a welding supply store a bit further away. I could exchange the tank at the LHBS for $17.

To transfer into the keg, the simplest method is to just remove the lid and siphon out of your fermenter into the keg. Put the lid back on and hook it up to the gas. If you were worried about oxidation from splashing, you could hook up a quick disconnect and a tube off of the "beer out" side and then hook the tube up to your siphon to fill from the bottom up.

Awesome, really sounds like the way to go.. I know I am sick of bottling.
So, you can prime with sugar and let carbonate naturally or force carbonate. if you use priming sugar, how long can you let them age in keg?Are the ball lock and pin lock kegs interchangeable?

Ball lock and pin lock are not interchangeable as far as the quick disconnects you use on the posts (one connection for CO2 and one for liquid out of the keg) The pin-lock fittings lock on with pins that stick out of the top. The ball-lock fittings have ball bearings inside the fittings that lock over a lip on the post.

You can prime with sugar. BeerSmith has a nice calculator in it for doing that. Takes a lot less than priming in the bottle too.

Pin lock (Pepsi-style)

...snip...

Ball lock (Coke-style)

Other way around, ball lock are Pepsi kegs. Most homebrewers use ball lock kegs, and are likely what you'll find in stock at your LHBS (local homebrew store).

Kegs rule. A keg can even serve as an improved "bottling bucket" should you find yourself feeling sorry for your unused capper....

I drink way too much when I'm online. Pepsi = ball lock. I have Pepsi kegs. They are ball lock. They say Pepsi on them. They came with Pepsi in them. For some reason I keep thinking they're Coke kegs.

Keep your eyes peeled; check your paper and Craigslist. You'll find fridges, CO2 tanks, etc. popping up from time to time.

Last year I picked up a fridge, tank and faucet for $50.
My neighbor had two corny kegs that he got for free from a restaurant near us that was closing. He gave them to me for nothing.

I replaced all the keg gaskets and upgraded the faucet but still got off wildly cheap.
Be patient and you can do the same.

I keg with pinlock Coke kegs because they are a little shorter and fatter so I can fit two kegs in my little kegerator. Ball lock Pepsi kegs are thinner and taller. Too tall in fact to allow two kegs in my kegerator. I have to put one in at an angle.

Something to consider if you have a kegerator from Home Depot.

I just ordered all of my stuff from kegconnection. It should arrive tomorrow or Monday. I went with dual tower/dual regulator, premium ball lock kit. I am building a kegerator.

Regardless, there are some awesome videos on youtube about corny kegs, and kegging setups, and cleaning sanitation, as well as, use.

Check this out, it was very informative, as I learn better from visualization rather than solely reading it. Plus the guy is kinda funny.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back