Gran Torino?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pen25

Reaction score
Well i watched the movie. thought it was going to be decent but good lord was that a great movie. I have to say the best movie ever made. and yes even better then any other movie ever.

i agree it had a great message and you get a lot from it. my only complaints are it was alittle slow and i thought the ending was lame

I wanted to see it in the theater, but I've been short of funds for quite awhile, and have had to prioritize ( you know, brew supplies, getting out on the bike, etc) so don't ruin it for me, since I plan on renting it.:)

I rented it for a long flight, and expected to see a typical gangland thriller. Boy, was I wrong. This film, and "Flags of our Fathers" give me TONS of respect for Clint Eastwood as a filmmaker and director. We need more films like this. Highly, highly recommended by this film buff. What a great character study.

I enjoyed the film very much. I like how Eastwood has matured into a serious dramatic director and actor.
I used to work with his Wife Dina . But, there is no bias involved.

If you liked Gran Torino.. I am sure you would like Changeling.

I enjoyed the film very much. I like how Eastwood has matured into a serious dramatic director and actor.
I used to work with his Wife Dina . But, there is no bias involved.

If you liked Gran Torino.. I am sure you would like Changeling.

changeling? not so much.

I thought it sucked. Great message the movie portrayed, but completely unrealistic. Most of the actors sucked. Actually, the only good acting in that movie was Clint Eastwood himself.

I rented it for a long flight, and expected to see a typical gangland thriller. Boy, was I wrong. This film, and "Flags of our Fathers" give me TONS of respect for Clint Eastwood as a filmmaker and director. We need more films like this. Highly, highly recommended by this film buff. What a great character study.

Flags of our Fathers was an incredible film, as was Letters from Iwo Jima. And if you really want to be moved, read the book. (flags)

+1111 on the original poster. hilarious movie with a good storyline. i liked the unknown and unpolished supporting actors. best movie i've seen in a long time. the song at the end has been stuck in my head for a week

Eastwood was great in this movie. The supporting actors were pretty bad. But, to me, that added to the charm in some way. It could just be that the bad supporting cast made Clint's performance seem better than it was. But, I loved him in this movie.

But, I'm a Clint Eastwood fan. Back in the eighties, when home video first became affordable and the popularity really took off, the first video I ever watched was Hang em' High.

Saw this movie with some friends on a business trip this spring.... We really didn't expect much...but wow. What a great movie and a stellar performance by Eastwood. What a friggin scary old man....some of his faces...good lord!!..... "Damn zipperheads".... I thought the acting was just fine...(of course I'm not a conisieur of acting.... I don't think I've seen another movie since....except UP! with the kids...)....

I thought it was pretty good, but definitely not great. Eastwood plays a great curmudgeon. The rest of the actors were bad. Storyline was good. I give it a B+

I thought it was a Great movie,but then I haven't seen a Clint Eastwood movie I haven't liked.
The bad acting from the supporting actors made the movie even better IMO.

I highly recommend this movie to anyone who hasn't seen it yet.

I thought it was pretty good, but definitely not great. Eastwood plays a great curmudgeon. The rest of the actors were bad. Storyline was good. I give it a B+

:off:

You added to my vocabulary and maybe given me a new name for the swill I have been making!! "Curmudgeon Cream Ale"
:mug:

I watched it last night. Great flick! I had the ending figured out though. I've been on a Clint marathon having recently watched:

The Good, The Bad, The Ugly
Hangem High
Pale Rider
Fist Full of Dollars
For a Few Dollars More
Outlaw Josey Wales
Dirty Harry
Magnum Force
Escape from Alcatraz

Up next is
Two Mules for Sister Sara
Heartbreak Ridge

I had heard really nothing about the movie until I went; it was the Hometown Premiere of the young Asian girl in Lansing who was sort the second costar. My wife works with her brother who is also her manager, and the brother being one of my wife's best friends from work let us come to the Premier, which was free.

I was fairly skeptical about the movie, Clint's character, and the whole plot, at first, but I have to say that he pulled it all off, it was a good movie, but I was disgusted by the rape component of her part. It seemed unnecessary, and made the plot a lot bigger of a downer.:(

My son went to see it and he didn't get it, and didn't like it. I told him, as I am also saying here, that the actual point of the movie was to show how a bitter, bigoted, racist, crotchety old man gave his life to stop the circle of violence; by giving his life to help to preserve some normalcy of life for his young Asian neighbors, in a tough urban neighborhood.

I had heard really nothing about the movie until I went; it was the Hometown Premiere of the young Asian girl in Lansing who was sort the second costar. My wife works with her brother who is also her manager, and the brother being one of my wife's best friends from work let us come to the Premier, which was free.

I was fairly skeptical about the movie, Clint's character, and the whole plot, at first, but I have to say that he pulled it all off, it was a good movie, but I was disgusted by the rape component of her part. It seemed unnecessary, and made the plot a lot bigger of a downer.:(

My son went to see it and he didn't get it, and didn't like it. I told him, as I am also saying here, that the actual point of the movie was to show how a bitter, bigoted, racist, crotchety old man gave his life to stop the circle of violence; by giving his life to help to preserve some normalcy of life for his young Asian neighbors, in a tough urban neighborhood.

Did you just give up an important part of the movie? I guess I won't be surprised when he dies in the end.

gran-torino-eastwood_l12.jpg

High ABV lawnmower ale, hopped with Magnum. Clint's the MAN.

Great movie, and even tho' Eastwood is better than everyone else, the movie felt real because "real" people were in it, not botoxed Hollywood types. No CGI, either.

I was lucky enough to just see this movie as well, actually twice. Although I do agree, the acting (except for Eastwood) sucks. Besides that, I thought it was an awesome movie with quite a storyline and meaning built in. Highly recommended!

Most of the characters were too cliche and simple, but it was really just a 2 hour excuse for Clint to make his badass squinty eyes. It definitely didn't disappoint in that department. I really liked it.

I saw it this weekend and liked it (would have liked it better had I not already known he dies in the end :( ) and I don't know what everyone means by terrible acting by the others, I think they did just fine.

I watched it last night. Great flick! I had the ending figured out though. I've been on a Clint marathon having recently watched:

The Good, The Bad, The Ugly
Hangem High
Pale Rider
Fist Full of Dollars
For a Few Dollars More
Outlaw Josey Wales
Dirty Harry
Magnum Force
Escape from Alcatraz

Up next is
Two Mules for Sister Sara
Heartbreak Ridge

I hope you've added "Unforgiven" to that list. It's one of the best westerns ever.

Well i watched the movie. thought it was going to be decent but good lord was that a great movie. I have to say the best movie ever made. and yes even better then any other movie ever.

I agree it was good...I started watching late last night, but couldn't turn it off ! It just kept drawing me in, like the neighbors drawing HIM in ..

The best movie he ever made was Unforgiven. Perhaps among the best 10 movies ever made.

Watched it last night with the family, it was pretty good, definitely was expecting a different ending from Mr. Eastwood though. Didn't crack my top 20 or anything but it was overall a very entertaining movie with a good message.

I just watched this movie, actually got a free PPV from Directv. Wow, what a kick ass flick.

I don't get why you guys didn't like the ending. The ending was excellent.

I just watched this movie, actually got a free PPV from Directv. Wow, what a kick ass flick.

I don't get why you guys didn't like the ending. The ending was excellent.

Well, even though I did not say I didn't like the ending I guess I did not want to see him die, I would rather had seen him feed them each others nuts but then you are probably getting too unrealistic.

The references to the crucifixion of Christ (and the pacifism, sacrifice, etc.) kinda caught me by surprise. Definitely wasn't expecting that.

Seems like this thread has not been touched in a while. I absolutely enjoyed this movie. And Clint Eastwood!! As homebrewers, how could we commemorate this movie? Im thinking an Imperial Cream Ale? Any takers? Lets build a recipe!!

So Ive developed a recipe for this and wanted to get some feedback. I call this beer:

Gran Torino
Imperial Cream Ale

6.0 lbs 2 row
6.0 lbs Maris Otter
1.0 lb biscuit malt
1.0 lb carapils
2.0 lbs flaked corn
1.0 lbs flaked rice
2.0 oz hersbrucker (60 min)
1.0 Saaz (10 min)
1.0 Saaz (flameout)
1 tsp ground pepper at flameout
Yeast nutrient and energizer
Oxygen added

American Ale wyeast 1056

Single infusion mash @ 148 for 60 min

OG 1.096
FG 1.005

10.6 % ABV
23.3 IBUs

Thoughts anyone??

I would dry hop for 39 days to get that grassy taste everybody says come along with dry hopping too long.

Then you could say "get off my lawn". :tank:

Back