Hot Box

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mogget

Reaction score
Ok. Have a dead minifridge that I want to turn into a lacto chamber. I have an STC-1000 ready for temperature control and a 120mm fan I can use to move things around in there, but need a heat source. Want to keep the temperature between 100 and 130. Have already tried a small space heater (has some sort of safety overrides that shut it off) and a hot pad (not enough heat). ceramic bulb? something I'm not aware of? Cheap and hackable is always a plus.

Saw your thread title and expected this to be in the boneyard. Sorry, carry one

A heat gun could possibly work. Maybe even a hair dryer.

There in a heat sensor that protects electric heaters from getting too hot. A simple wire could disable it. Don't try this at home.

That's what I use in my fermentation chamber and they get hot enough to burn the mess out o you

Went ahead and got a 150 watt heat bulb and clamp socket. So far so good. Sitting at 110 degrees. Will see how it does tonight.

In my case, I want to be able to keep a full carboy between 100 and 120 degrees for 3 or 4 days. I want to make some berliners and a few other sourmash projects.

Not sure how the chamber is doing. I think it will be able to maintain the temps, but it may not be enough to raise the temps. Which would work, but if something happens I may get stuck.

Back