Beer Not Ready. Totally Bummed Out.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

barneygumble

Reaction score
I brewed a beer at the end of Feb. A Lambic Framboise. It wont be ready for the end of July for my daughter's wedding. Dammitol. It still has that band-aid taste from the wild yeast. (I used the Wyeast Lambic blend #3278. No, its not chlorine, I use well water and sanitize with star san. 0 chlorine in the system or process, its the natural early flavor of this strain). The sour is now coming foreward nicely, and the horse blanket and sour milk/cheese are just beginning to show themselves. Its too young. So when I pulled it off the berries today (HUGE fresh raspberry flavor, aroma and presence! Nice) I figured I have about another 4 to 6 weeks to let the other little bugs to eat the wild yeast and retreat the band aid to the background.

So I am looking for a sours veteran to advise here. I dont want the berries to disappear, so how long to let the lacto, brett et al do their thing till I crash and keg this puppy?

The typical fermentation timeframe you'll hear for a lambic is 12-18 months, usually letting it sit on the fruit for the last 3-6 months before packaging.

The typical fermentation timeframe you'll hear for a lambic is 12-18 months, usually letting it sit on the fruit for the last 3-6 months before packaging.

Yeah, I pulled it off after about 41/2 or so. Tasted and knew it wasn't ready. I hope now for the holidays. I just dont want the berries to fade too badly.

Latest posts

Back