QUICK!! Help!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SmoothSmoke

Reaction score
Should I add fermcap drops to the fermenter??? I'm thinking this thing is going to blow any minute.

IMG01180-20120611-1431.jpg

No. Put in a blowoff tube and route it into a jar of starsan.

MHO. No big deal, you'll lose a little bit of beer in the blowoff, but I've only used fermcap in the boil and don't know about putting it directly into a fermenting beer.

Blowoff tube, now.

Jam your siphon tubing into the grommet hole and put the other end into a jar of sanitizer.

That looks like your star san in your air lock foaming up to me. Better safe than sorry though, add a blowoff tube.

Fermcap is actually GREAT for fermentation. That's it's primary use on the bottle. I just bought one.

For blowoff, take your siphon tubing you use to rack beer and put it down the hole in place of the airlock (remove airlock, jamp tubing in hole instead). Then put the other end of the tubing in a jar/bucket of water/starsan.

I'm assuming you used starsan in your airlock? That just looks like starsan foam from the bubbling airlock. That's why i prefer to use cheap vodka sometimes - it won't foam.

Some people always use a blowoff at the start of fermentation just in case. I just let it go until i see krausen blowing into the airlock, then switch to blowoff since only like 1 / 5 of my batches actually need one.

To each their own. If that airlock clogs, THEN you have a problem. The pressure can blow the lid off the bucket and make an impressive mess. Never happened to me, but there are pictures on here.

My airlocks keep getting stuck in the bung. I think the starsan is eating the rubber and causing it to "fuse" to the airlock shaft. Pisses me off. Hard to get them out without ripping the bung out. I switched to 3-piece airlocks on most of my fermenters because I don't have to remove it to add blowoff, just slip 1/2" tubing over the tube inside.

Fermcap is actually GREAT for fermentation. That's it's primary use on the bottle. I just bought one.

For blowoff, take your siphon tubing you use to rack beer and put it down the hole in place of the airlock (remove airlock, jamp tubing in hole instead). Then put the other end of the tubing in a jar/bucket of water/starsan.

Not doubting you, but the way I understood it was that you put it in the boil to get the benefits of lower Krausen/blowoff when it gets to the fermenation stage. I don't know if it's sanitary or not, but adding anything to my fermenting beer that isn't hops scares me. :)

My airlocks keep getting stuck in the bung. I think the starsan is eating the rubber and causing it to "fuse" to the airlock shaft. Pisses me off. Hard to get them out without ripping the bung out. I switched to 3-piece airlocks on most of my fermenters because I don't have to remove it to add blowoff, just slip 1/2" tubing over the tube inside.

My guess is that it's the krausen working it's way into the crevices that causes that stick. I just use a spray bottle of starsan, spray the bung and airlock completely where they meet the bucket, then gently twist as I pull up. Works pretty well.

Edit: You also can add a blowoff tube to the top of the S airlock too, same difference. I don't like that method because the bottom of the airlock is tapered, and thats the spot most likely to clog and cause a blowout.

Alright guys, tell me if I did it right. I sanitized a bucket and the tubing. The tube fits into the grommet hole fine, however I did find another thicker tube that came with my kit. It is shorter, but I opted for the slightly thinner longer tube. Hope I chose the right one.

The bucket has about half oz to an oz of star san mixed with some water.

IMG01181-20120611-1457.jpg

Oh and I stuck the tube about 3" into the grommet? Should it go in deeper or less?

That looks good to me, I usually only put the tube around an inch in, making sure it's secure. but as long as it's not in the beer itself I'd sure that will be fine.

You want the water to be lower than the beer, for obvious siphoning reasons, and you want the end of the tube under the water level.

I usually take a Gatorade type bottle, and cut cross hatches in the lid and pushed the tubing through it, so it somewhat pinches/holds the tubing in place.

Oh and lastly RDWHAHB

That looks good to me, I usually only put the tube around an inch in, making sure it's secure. but as long as it's not in the beer itself I'd sure that will be fine.

You want the water to be lower than the beer, for obvious siphoning reasons, and you want the end of the tube under the water level.

I usually take a Gatorade type bottle, and cut cross hatches in the lid and pushed the tubing through it, so it somewhat pinches/holds the tubing in place.

Oh and lastly RDWHAHB

Space is at a premium here. I can't elevate the bucket so that it is much higher than the blow off bucket. The tube is coiled below the water level. I might add more water though to be sure.

Space is at a premium here. I can't elevate the bucket so that it is much higher than the blow off bucket. The tube is coiled below the water level. I might add more water though to be sure.

You height is fine, I just wanted to make sure you didn't set the blow off water ontop of the bucket or something. It's not the end of the world, but you wouldn't want to suck back sanitizer into your beer.

Good job. :mug:

Ok, looks like things are under control. The blow off bucket is burping. So the blow off tube trick is working!!! :mug:

I think I over reacted and like fred said, it was just the star san bubbling. Better safe than sorry though. Thanks again, you guys are awesome.

Back