adding to an almost empty keg?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1990dtgl98

Reaction score
Here's a simple question but figured I'd ask.

I had kegged and subsequently drank a batch of apple cider over the course of 2 or so months. I made another batch in the meantime and that's about ready to keg.

I still have about 5 glasses left (estimate) from the first batch. Second batch is the exact same recipe. Is it OK to just add to the keg without re-cleaning/sanitizing or not?

I figure it's already sanitized from before....but I'm not sure if only having liquid on the bottom 5-6" for a few weeks means there might be some crud built up on the sides that might cause some off flavors?

Opinions?

As long as your sanitation is good and you keep it refrigerated, you should be fine.

I've done this before with a 10gallon batch of beer into a keg, 5 gallons at a time.

Probably fine but is $1 of star san and a few minutes worth it to eliminate risk? I say yes

should be fine. i wouldn't make a habit out of it, but i have gotten away with it before. its adding cider to more cider in a sanitized keg (well, it was sanitized). no biggie i guess, but don't let it get you in the habit of being lazy with you're cleaning and sanitizing.

Back