Racking with krausen..good or bad?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buckeyebrewer

Reaction score
I have a batch that is now at its FG. I was going to rack it but there is still a thick head of krausen. It is ok to rack it or should I wait until the krausen subsides?

Maybe thick isn't the best word.....it still has a good layer of krausen. The krausen looks fine. As soon as your beer hits your FG do you rack it immediately?

No. I have beers that reach terminal gravity in three days, but I always give it at least a week. I would wait for the krausen to drop before racking.

Its a German Altbier. I was shooting for 1.012-1.010. Right now its at 1.008 and its still bubbling once a minute. How much more should I expect? Wyeast German Ale yeast 1007.

Hard to say, what was your OG? I cant imagine it will go much lower, but if it has krausen and is still bubbling, I would say it is still fermenting. I would leave it for at least a few days.

Yeah, FG is not a target, it is when fermentation stops. You aren't there yet;).Was your OG about right? Did you use the recommended yeast?

OG was 1.047...everything else looks smells and taste good so far. I see nothing out of the norm. I will let it ride a few more days.....So is hitting your FG even possible? Sounds like you have no control over where it's gonna stop besides what the yeast manufacturer estimates it will stop. This is my 30th batch as of last April...... for every batch before this I just let things go until it stops and then wait a couple more days. This is the first time I have ever tried to really keep a good eye on the gravity everyday and try to stop it right on my goal FG. Thanks for the input.
Cheez I used the German Ale 1007

You are correct that you have no real control over when it stops. It's pretty much up to the yeast, unless you want to cold crash and keep the beer cold all the time after that.

Just let it finish up, and then give it a couple or few more days, just like you've been doing. Those few extra days are to let the yeast clean up a bit after the party.

TL

Patience... it doesn't normally hurt to leave a beer in primary for 3-4 weeks even. It is actually good as it will allow the yeasties to "clean up" some of the bi-products of fermentation.

I've left beers in primary for 6 weeks before racking off the trub before and they were great beers...

Racking before the krausen has even fallen is wayy too early...

It was a very healthy 1/2 gal starter. The Wyeast package was dated 2 DAYS before I bought it. I'm not sure how it made it to my LBS in 2 days from the lab but its the freshest yeast I've ever had. Thing took off in about an hour after I pitched.

The 1007 strain does leave a layer on top that almost won't go away. As others have said, it's always good to leave the beer on the yeast for a while, but there still may be some foam left when it is time to rack.

When in doubt about when to rack, it is most always better to err on the side of leaving it for later. Let the yeast do its work.

All good advise....I will let her sit for a while. I only have 30 gallons of other brew to drink.....I think I can wait. :rockin: .

Back