Sizing your Chest Freezer for Corny Kegs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good deal again on the 7 cubic foot

http://homedepot.com/p/GE-7-0-cu-ft-Chest-Freezer-in-White-FCM7SUWW/203547578/

Use code JUNEHD for $10 off bringing it to $168!

Wouldn't a price match from Lowes be better since they will beat it by 10% according to their pricing policy? That makes the bottom line $160.20. Home Depot is reducing the prices for a sale but it's not a % off sale.

Is this a pretty good one to have...will it have space for a fermenter and a soda keg?

Does anyone both with the extended warranties considering the compressor will come on more often?

Wouldn't a price match from Lowes be better since they will beat it by 10% according to their pricing policy? That makes the bottom line $160.20. Home Depot is reducing the prices for a sale but it's not a % off sale.

Is this a pretty good one to have...will it have space for a fermenter and a soda keg?

Does anyone both with the extended warranties considering the compressor will come on more often?

I'm still seeing the $229 on their website and was told by a lady named Karen (via Lowe's chat), that the $229 price was the "sales price". She did tell me she would match the sale price offered by Home Depot.

I think I'll just get mine at HD. Besides, my Lowe's is out of stock.

I don't know if they would have that freezer as part of their hard copy flyer or not - it may just say up to $xxx off on appliances. So you may be right - they would only match...then it comes down to preference because there is no additional savings. But if you have a Chase Freedom card you get 5% bonus on your rewards if you buy it before the end of June.

Is this a good deal for this freezer though - as a fermentation and keezer type storage?

Does anyone get warranties for their freezers? Square Trade will cover it for 3 yrs for $28 compared to $50 from HD for 3 yrs.

I bought mine earlier this morning. It was out of stock, but I still got the sales price. I should get it by Thursday.

Now, got to figure out how to tell the wife as she'll be home that day. :evil grin:

Well I went over to Lowe's this evening and they price matched the $178 from HD and then took off another 10%. So it was $160.20 + tax which gave me a bottom line total of $169.81. Not as cheap as another poster but I'm quite happy with the total. It's expected to be delivered around July 5th or so. They did not have any in stock although their website said they had one locally. Gotta love inventory issues.

This looks like a fantastic thread for keezers. I am starting to look for something and was hoping to get some advice. My plan is to find a chest freezer that can fit one 1/2 barrel keg of "crappy" beer for my wife, and still have room for 2-4 corneys. Does anyone have specific suggestions/brands that they like that would fit the bill? I'm wondering If I just need to make some cardboard cutouts and go look around.

Thanks!

i said the hell with it and bought the frigidaire 15 cu ft chest freezer at lowes for $ 359 , got the extra 2 year warranty ( 3 yr warranty now ) , for $ 447 out the door with tax and extra warranty , it holds 8 ball locks in the well 2 on the hump hell yah , i save over $ 200

I can't find this price on the website. All I can find is the 14.8 Frigidaire for $404.

Anyone have a link?

I can't find this price on the website. All I can find is the 14.8 Frigidaire for $404.

Anyone have a link?

I see $404 on the website, which means it's $404 in the store after "10% appliance sale" that runs repeatedly til the end of time.

Throw on a 10% off movers coupon from the Post Office, or ask for a 10% coupon on their website, or 10% military discount, or have them price match a 10% coupon from Home Depot or some other competitor.

$363.60 plus local tax.

Frigidaire FFC0923DW will fit 7 cornies or 6 and a 20LB aluminum tank. There are a few different configurations that will work, but 4 cornies is the maximum on the floor without forcing more than I'm comfortable with.

ReDSC00436.jpg

ReDSC00437.jpg

ReDSC00438.jpg

I want to upgrade my small freezer to a larger one that actually fits 4 kegs. Plus I want to move it from the garage into the living room. But I don't like the plain white freezer in the living room. I rather have a black one and want to put two towers on top.
Since we always have a bunch of kids in the house I don't want the taps on the front.

Sears has one black. But it is pricy. $330.
http://www.sears.com/kenmore-8.8-cu...1x000001&kpid=04616949000&kispla=04616949000P
Is there are a way to paint a white chest freezer? Or have people decorated them in any other way?

I am just looking for ideas on how to make a nice chest freezer which blends into the living room.

I want to upgrade my small freezer to a larger one that actually fits 4 kegs. Plus I want to move it from the garage into the living room. But I don't like the plain white freezer in the living room. I rather have a black one and want to put two towers on top.
Since we always have a bunch of kids in the house I don't want the taps on the front.

Sears has one black. But it is pricy. $330.
http://www.sears.com/kenmore-8.8-cu...1x000001&kpid=04616949000&kispla=04616949000P
Is there are a way to paint a white chest freezer? Or have people decorated them in any other way?

I am just looking for ideas on how to make a nice chest freezer which blends into the living room.

I've seen people using this stuff:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0009XEL3U/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Last edited by a moderator:
I painted mine black with the appliance paint. I think I used 2 cans for a 7 cu ft freezer and could have used 3. It was pretty easy but I did it in my dusty garage and did get a little dust in the paint. If you are going that way, just be careful of the dust.

My friend just purchased the 8.8 kenmore in black when they had a sale. I think he got it for under $250 so if you really want that one, just wait for their 15 or 20% off sales which happen often.

Did anyone ever measure the number of ball locks with a Holiday LCM070LC and collar? I see that 3 fit without a collar in post 170, but I cannot tell if I can fit one on the hump if I add a collar. There's a deal on one now that I was thinking of picking up.

Picking up a keezer tomorrow for my first "legit" homebrew. Keg and kit just arrived today.... so excited... will probably throw a small party if the brew turns out well.

Cheers to all thread contributors. Will use the cardboard cutout method to determine my choice. Want to stay small, but can see myself easily wanting 2 - 4 corny's..... lol

im looking to buy a deep freezer this week. what does everyone recommend. My first cider homebrew will be ready mid next week. :) Pumped up about it :)

Get the biggest one you can afford/have space for. Also, wait for the sales. They are often and substantial. A 7.2 should be about 170, 8.8 under 300, I have also seen 10.2s for 299 and 14's for about 350.

Thanks I do have one near me In louisville ky. I'll go check em out. My wife asked if we can also keep stuff in there? I said probably food. She agrees about more drinks etc

I just bought 4 three gallon pin lock kegs for my small chest freezer. All of them fit!

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1400876938.067071.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1400876954.440578.jpg

With room to spare for bottles of beer, washed yeast, and hops. I got them for $125 plus parts and shipping from adventures in homebrewing. This size is perfect for me!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Most home brewers buy used soda kegs, which are generally 9" diameter. Unlike beer kegs, these don't require any special equipment to fill, because there is a lid that comes off.

I've got a keezer that fits three 5 gallon corny's and a few 6 packs on the hump along with my CO2 snuck in there. I've got a triple tap tower, but brew 10 gallon batches. For those who brew 10 gallon batches and keg it in 2 corny kegs, do you just store your extra/backup keg in a different fridge? Is there any negative to refrigerating my backup corny and then swapping it over and putting CO2 on it when the first one is gone? I plan to start bottling off my keezer, so will probably go through the kegs a bit quicker.

ps I hope this question is relevant enough to this thread. Looking for a simple yes/no type answer. Thanks!

I've got a keezer that fits three 5 gallon corny's and a few 6 packs on the hump along with my CO2 snuck in there. I've got a triple tap tower, but brew 10 gallon batches. For those who brew 10 gallon batches and keg it in 2 corny kegs, do you just store your extra/backup keg in a different fridge? Is there any negative to refrigerating my backup corny and then swapping it over and putting CO2 on it when the first one is gone? I plan to start bottling off my keezer, so will probably go through the kegs a bit quicker.

ps I hope this question is relevant enough to this thread. Looking for a simple yes/no type answer. Thanks!

No that is fine. I store mine at room temp though.

No that is fine. I store mine at room temp though.

How do you keep them from over-fermenting? That's the issue I had with bottling. I'd bottle 5 gal and keg 5 gal, but the bottles essentially fermented for that extra couple weeks (or however long it takes till I cool em).

Magic Chef HMCF7W

Wondering if anyone who has owned one of these freezers for awhile has experienced issues with it. There are lots of negative reviews about them crapping out (mostly compressor issues) a short while after purchase.

Also, Thadius' very helpful chart lists it at 7.0 cubic feet, while the Home Depot site has it at 6.8. There are also several mentions on HBT of 7.2. Is this a different model?

Hauled my damn kegerator 1\2 way across the country in the move. Then down into our basement and now its giving up the ghost.

So what I need is the smallest cheapest chest freezer that will hold 3 ball
Locks preferably with no collar.

Where I'm at Menard's and Home Depot and I guess wal mart and runnings. So something available from one of those is preferable. Thanks for any help.

Latest posts

Back