reusing screw top bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

weeple2000

Reaction score
What is the consensus on reusing screw top bottles? I have tried reusing the screw tops and that seemed to have mixed results. I suspected that the wine from those bottles tasted different, hotter perhaps.

The next time I thought about it I tried reusing the screw top bottles with corks. I have a hand corker, I believe it is a gilda corker. They recommended smaller corks for it, and now that I've tried opening a bottle it seems that the cork doesn't make as tight a seal as it would with a cork bottle.

Should I be using larger corks with these bottles?
Should I not be reusing them at all?

If you use them, do you use corks or screw tops?

Does the thickness of the cork have an impact on how long you can age wine?

The only problem with screw tops is they're designed for... well... screw tops. The glass in many cases is thinner in the neck (to save money on material) and can't support corks. That being said I've corked many a screwtop bottle with no problem, but have also broken a few necks.

Guess maybe I'm just a bit out of the loop here but what exactly is the problem with using an actual screw top? Why not just screw the lid back on and call it a day?

I drink a lot of sparkling water that comes in screw top 11.5oz & 750ml bottles. I just use the screwtop caps and wax it off for a tight air seal.

You can buy new acrew top caps by the bags, very easy to use them.

Ive been googling, and I don't understand. When you buy the caps, is there a thingamajigg that seals the cap around the existing thread of the bottle? Or these are simply reusable screw caps? You know how the screw cap has that seal that twists off on the bottom of the cap and you are left with a metal ring on the neck? How do new screw caps do that? Sorry but I'm new and wouldn't mind using screw tops since I have a plethora of these types of bottles.

I thought that reusing the screw tops didn't make a good seal once they were opened.

Could someone post a link to the type of caps they are using with these bottles?

saramc said:
LHBS sell screw cap bottles to the amateur by the case, and many use this style cap, http://www.austinhomebrew.com/product_info.php?products_id=1346

The metal band that you speak of, that is crimped on the bottom, this is done in the commercial bottling side, not typically seen at home.

AWESOME!!!!!!! When I buy commercially-produced wine it drives me bats how so often the corks are bad and have ruined a wonderful wine. I wish to Pete vintners would just bag the bloody corks and use screw tops. I know, it's not tradition. Poo on tradition. I want the wine I buy to be good /rant

I will start keeping my screw top bottles (of which there are many nice wines represented)!

I used screw tops for a couple of years without problems. I just reused what came with the original. But in the last year I've used corks, standard size in the screw top bottle. The diameter is slightly wider and you do get the odd one that drips but I think the cork seal does age the wine better. I'm not being a purist. It takes me longer to bottle with corks, but it gives a better taste. I store them on their side with no shrink for around 3 months. The glass is definitely thinner around the top but I've not had one break yet.

LHBS sell screw cap bottles to the amateur by the case, and many use this style cap, http://www.austinhomebrew.com/product_info.php?products_id=1346

The metal band that you speak of, that is crimped on the bottom, this is done in the commercial bottling side, not typically seen at home.

The caps you posted are for the 28mm caps which fit bottles with an opening of a 2-liter coke bottle. Many, if not most, commercial bottles of wine I have seen come with a 30mm cap.

bgeek said:
The caps you posted are for the 28mm caps which fit bottles with an opening of a 2-liter coke bottle. Many, if not most, commercial bottles of wine I have seen come with a 30mm cap.

I just showed an example of what that shop was listing with their screw top bottles and has listed as a screw cap for their offered wine bottles, 28mm.

If you visit ECK they carry 28mm screw top clear bottle. The 30mm lids are usually used on growlers and gallons. Have not seen a 30mm 750ml screw top in my search, 28 most common I guess.

Here is another vendor that stocks the bottles and caps, http://www.weekendbrewer.com/WineBottles.html. 28mm

I stumbled across three cases of commercial wine bottles with 28mm caps..I just finished bottling in them and capping with new black poly lids. It was a commercial label, out of NY. I know the majority of metal crimped commercial caps are 30.

When I reuse screw cap bottles I leave them on their side for a couple of days. No leaks I keep them. If they leak even half a drip I re bottle or drink them right away. They are always the first bottles I drink. I keep the corked ones the longest.

Snap. I already ordered the 28mm caps. I hope they fit on Hogue and Monkey Bay bottles.

oh well i may be wrong but i use whiskey bottles for my wine with the plastic tops in between to seal it with very little trouble for years ive never corked my wine,i do cap some of my hard lemonade and ect.

Latest posts

Back