American IPA Stone Ruination Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mcotter said:
I don't have the necessary equipment for a yeast starter yet so I usually stick with the wyeast smack packs. With this beer have an OG of 1.07+ would I be better off using 2 packs for a 5 gallon extract batch?

You don't have a mason jar (or any glass container around a quart), grain or extract, and water? You can make a starter with any ole wort of reasonably low gravity and a container in which to house it. Do a mini mash if need be.

Hmmm, still pretty new at this so I guess I was confused. I thought making a starter required a stir plate. Guess I'll go brush up on how to,make a starter. Thanks for the responses.

mcotter said:
Hmmm, still pretty new at this so I guess I was confused. I thought making a starter required a stir plate. Guess I'll go brush up on how to,make a starter. Thanks for the responses.

I have no stir plate. Just shake or agitate it whenever you walk by.

Brewed this one and dry hopped. Hydro sample tastes great but not as sweet as the original. Might need to mash a bit higher temp next time and/or bump crystal malt.

Yooper,
I'm reading your recipe, thinking about doing this as a Xmas Gift for myself, and I need some advice. Doing an extract, full boil.

A- What would you think of making a minor change in using Xtra light DME for the initial addition and light DME at flame out? would this change the OG at all?

B- As for the hops schedule. What kind of hops for this recipe? Whole leaf or pellets by the weight you described? What should I do for the recipe for whole leaf hops?

C- When do you think I should start this so that this tastes at its prime for Xmas?

This would be my first time adjusting a recipe and getting ingredients, not a full kit already made. I cant wait to do this and say "I MADE THIS ONE!!!" Thanks in advance.
Steve

Yooper,
I'm reading your recipe, thinking about doing this as a Xmas Gift for myself, and I need some advice. Doing an extract, full boil.

A- What would you think of making a minor change in using Xtra light DME for the initial addition and light DME at flame out? would this change the OG at all?

B- As for the hops schedule. What kind of hops for this recipe? Whole leaf or pellets by the weight you described? What should I do for the recipe for whole leaf hops?

C- When do you think I should start this so that this tastes at its prime for Xmas?

This would be my first time adjusting a recipe and getting ingredients, not a full kit already made. I cant wait to do this and say "I MADE THIS ONE!!!" Thanks in advance.
Steve

A. No, the OG should not change a bit.

B. I've used whatever I've had, both with leaf (whole) hops and with pellets. Either is fine.

C. If you pitch enough yeast, and ferment at the optimum fermentation temperature, and are bottling, I'd say about 6-8 weeks before drinking would be the perfect brewday timing.

Just got home from a homebrew club meeting. I brought a bomber of this one with. Rave reviews, including "this is the best ruination clone I've ever tasted". The bomber I used was a Ruination 10th anniversary bottle, and several people swore I bought this at the store. Next time, I'll be doing a 10 gallon batch of this! Yooper rules.

Hey there, has anyone tried to clone the tenth anniversary ruination? I have been searching all over and found that its basically just double the amount of hops and a higher abv. (10.8%)

jperry said:
Hey there, has anyone tried to clone the tenth anniversary ruination? I have been searching all over and found that its basically just double the amount of hops and a higher abv. (10.8%)
Well, you'd up the 2row a bit to push up the abv, ad add a few more ounces of centennial and a couple ounces of citra, plus more dry hop of cent/citra from what I understAnd. Me, I'm almost afraid of having 5 gallons of that on tap :)

Yea I figured that was all it is, more 2-row and 2x the hops... Thanks for the response. 5 gallons is a little much, I would only do 2-3 gallons, since Im the only beer drinker in my house and I have to bottle. Plus the ingredients will cost a lot. I need to figure out how to get the most aroma out of the dry hops, before I go throwing a bunch in and wasting them (I read that yeast will take flush out most aroma, when you dry hop too soon. I also read in BYO, that warmer conditioning temp. brings out the hop aroma better). Ill need a big starter too, will I be able to build up a starter, with one vial, or do I need two?

jperry said:
Yea I figured that was all it is, more 2-row and 2x the hops... Thanks for the response. 5 gallons is a little much, I would only do 2-3 gallons, since Im the only beer drinker in my house and I have to bottle. Plus the ingredients will cost a lot. I need to figure out how to get the most aroma out of the dry hops, before I go throwing a bunch in and wasting them (I read that yeast will take flush out most aroma, when you dry hop too soon. I also read in BYO, that warmer conditioning temp. brings out the hop aroma better). Ill need a big starter too, will I be able to build up a starter, with one vial, or do I need two?

You could pitch 2 or 3 packs of Us-05 for the price of liquid yeast. Otherwise, you could build up a starter with one vial. There are ways :). Buy the hops in bulk instead of in 1oz increments. With the 2012 season, centennial pellets should be available soon, same with citra. Check out yakimavalleyhops.com for that. As far as dry hop timing, I dry hop about 7 days before I bottle/keg. So, if you plan on keeping the beer in the fermenter for 4 weeks, put them in a hop sack and throw them in for the final week.

Brewed this per the OP's extract recipe. OG was 1.074, just took a hydrometer reading after 12 days in the primary and it's at 1.016. Didn't quite hit the numbers I was hoping for but I'm calling that close enough. Plan on dry hopping tomorrow.

Also, went ahead and made a yeast starter as suggested, thanks again for the tips.

Does anyone know how much 2row and dme I should use if I wanted to convert this to a partial mash brew?
thanks

Brewed this one and dry hopped. Hydro sample tastes great but not as sweet as the original. Might need to mash a bit higher temp next time and/or bump crystal malt.

I've always been very happy with using Crystal to color and the sweetness it brings to the party for pales and IPAs.

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone here has seen/could post the new recipe that Mitch made public recently (I read that Columbus and Citra are now used.) If anyone has it could they please post it? I brewed Yoopers' recipe several months back and it was fantastic - I'd like to see how the new recipe compares.

Thanks!
MF

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone here has seen/could post the new recipe that Mitch made public recently (I read that Columbus and Citra are now used.) If anyone has it could they please post it? I brewed Yoopers' recipe several months back and it was fantastic - I'd like to see how the new recipe compares.

Thanks!
MF

Apologies if it has been posted here and I missed it.

Any chance you could re-post it at some point?

Thanks and happy brewing to ya.

I'm wanting to make a Black IIPA. Would I add a pound of black malt or what? Is 1 LB too much? I've brewed this recipe three times. I add another pound of 2 row just to make sure I hit my numbers.
Does this sound interesting to anyone?

I'm wanting to make a Black IIPA. Would I add a pound of black malt or what? Is 1 LB too much? I've brewed this recipe three times. I add another pound of 2 row just to make sure I hit my numbers.

A pound of black malt is way too much- it will taste like ashes.

You could use some Carafa special III. It's dehusked so it doesn't taste burnt/acrid like black malt. I'd probably go with .5 pound Carafa special III, and maybe some chocolate malt for a little bit of roast, say .5 pound.

StinkyVp said:

I've only made one black ipa but overall I think dank hops like simcoe and piney chinook are better with the roast than fruity. This recipes with all the centennial hops would not be my first choice for a roasty flavor. But what is a black ipa anyway? Whatever you want it to be!

EDIT
And if you use a pound of roast you'll need a pound of hops to balance. And high alcohol. So cutting the roast to half pound Max or as Yooper says switch to chocolate malt.

Hi all,

Thanks!
MF

I bought Mitch Steele's new book on IPAs. The recipe in there is pretty much the same as the one Yooper has but (as others have reported) using Columbus at the start of a 90 minute boil and Centennial in whirlpool and dry hopping.

I had heard that there was a recipe in a recent Zymurgy that Mitch wrote which gave the Ruination recipe that used Citra (maybe I mis-read or that was a recipe for the 10th anniversary IIPA.) :eek:

I would use carafa but it depends on what you are doing. I use a partial mash with 8.5 lb of extract to 4lb grain. I used 2 pound of breiss 2row and used c135 with 4oz of carafa 1 and 2. I also used chocolate malt. I used 4oz magnum 2oz centennial and 2oz mt. Hood. This ended up being a fantastic beer. To conclude you need only use small ammounts of the darker malts to get your desired color. Don't over do it. Good luck to you.

I threw some melanoidin in, and got nice deep red coloring... The recipe with citra would be the 10th anniversary recipe. Post it if you got it!

Nevermind - I found the new recipe online - no Citra to be found:

12.5 lb two row
12 oz 15L
1.75 oz Columbus at -90
1.0 oz Centennial at 0
2.5 oz Centennial dry hop

A pound of black malt is way too much- it will taste like ashes.

You could use some Carafa special III. It's dehusked so it doesn't taste burnt/acrid like black malt. I'd probably go with .5 pound Carafa special III, and maybe some chocolate malt for a little bit of roast, say .5 pound.

I'm doing this! Thanks.

I would use carafa but it depends on what you are doing. I use a partial mash with 8.5 lb of extract to 4lb grain. I used 2 pound of breiss 2row and used c135 with 4oz of carafa 1 and 2. I also used chocolate malt. I used 4oz magnum 2oz centennial and 2oz mt. Hood. This ended up being a fantastic beer. To conclude you need only use small ammounts of the darker malts to get your desired color. Don't over do it. Good luck to you.

It's looking like Columbus and Nugget but close to what you have.

StinkyVp said:

I do not remotely
Claim to be an expert, but 4 ounces of that stuff will turn a 5 gallon batch into a Guinness dark and will really bring a burnt flavor (not roasted, burnt coffee flavor).

KarlHungus76 said:
I do not remotely
Claim to be an expert, but 4 ounces of that stuff will turn a 5 gallon batch into a Guinness dark and will really bring a burnt flavor (not roasted, burnt coffee flavor).

+1 try out 2 oz. first and see what happens...

Petekiteworld said:
Use 1lb carafa special 3.

A plus to this. It's debittered, and what is used in a Black IPA/Cascadian dark or whatever it's going to be called. Black patent malt should not be used in this style. Otherwise the Hops will be muted.

A plus to this. It's debittered, and what is used in a Black IPA/Cascadian dark or whatever it's going to be called. Black patent malt should not be used in this style. Otherwise the Hops will be muted.

So what about the chocolate?

Would
1lb carafe III
be better than
.5 carafe III
.5 chocolate malt (or pale chocolate malt - not sure what the diff is)
?

Chocolate malt is a misnomer. carafa 3 gives all the color, some flavor, and minimal astringency. Best grain for black ipas

I just brewed this recipe BIAB and hit 1.080 og. I'm relatively new to all grain and this is the most efficient I've been yet. I double checked the reading. I tossed it on a 1272 yeast cake and within an hour there is massive krausen and it's bubbling like crazy! I can't wait to try it.

I am doing what someone did earlier and subbing 60L for 20L. When I went to my local homebrew store, they only had leaf magnum, no pellets. I talked with one of the guys who worked there and he suggested, trying zythos. He pointed out that Ballast Point's sculpin uses 4 different bittering hops and zythos is a hop combination as well. Well, that won me over! So just changing those two.

Really looking forward to this! I will post results in the future!

@yooper

what would be the conversion for a 10 or 15 gallon batch? i just started all-graining and im sorry for my ignorance

Latest posts

Back