Video - Stovetop BIAB 2-1/2 gal All Grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

halfbrew70

Reaction score
I posted a video on YouTube that documents my first BIAB batch.

Electric Stovetop
BIAB
All Grain
2-1/2 gal

It's a simple process that beginners might find interesting.

We can never have too many photos or videos, right?

Last edited by a moderator:
A few notes/questions:

First off, nicely done however I feel like it would be better if it ended with a picture of you passed out on the couch surrounded by bottles.
Just curious as to what kind of efficiency you get? I get about 60% but I don't sparge when I do small stove top batches.
Did I see you bottling filler/wand thing attached to your auto-siphon or were they just sitting in the empty bottling bucket together? If so you should drill that bottling bucket and put in a spigot to attach it to in there, it's way easier.
Finally, I dig the bluegrass!

Wow, did you only need to sparge with 2qts of water? Did you just put the bag in another pot and pour 2 qts of 170 degree water over it?

...Just curious as to what kind of efficiency you get? I get about 60% but I don't sparge when I do small stove top batches...

I'm not sure about my efficiency. According to the software that I used, on this first batch I got 86%, BUT I had taken the pre-boil specific gravity reading at 165F. I later learned that the reading could be off at that temp, even with the correction applied. This was my first batch (learning). My original gravity was 1.056 and the recipe called for 1.041, so something good must have happened. Ended up with 4.6% ABV.

For my next batch, I cooled the pre-boil sample down to 119F before taking the specific gravity reading. Got a 76% efficiency reading. Still ended up with 4.6% ABV after all was said and done, though.

Wow, did you only need to sparge with 2qts of water? Did you just put the bag in another pot and pour 2 qts of 170 degree water over it?

Yeah, only 2 quarts. But, it was only a 2.5 gal batch. I set the bag on a strainer, resting over a pot.

I started with 3 gal for the mash. After the 2 qt. sparge and one hour boil, I ended up with 2.5 gal.

I'm not sure about my efficiency. According to the software that I used, on this first batch I got 86%, BUT I had taken the pre-boil specific gravity reading at 165F. I later learned that the reading could be off at that temp, even with the correction applied. This was my first batch (learning). My original gravity was 1.056 and the recipe called for 1.041, so something good must have happened. Ended up with 4.6% ABV.

For my next batch, I cooled the pre-boil sample down to 119F before taking the specific gravity reading. Got a 76% efficiency reading. Still ended up with 4.6% ABV after all was said and done, though.

http://hbd.org/cgi-bin/recipator/recipator/hydrometer.html

There's a hydrometer temp correction calculator I use. Sounds like you got something working for you if you hit over the recommended OG. Good job!

Helpful hint...you should not pour your beer into your bottling bucket from that height. Put the end of the siphon in the bucket bottom so it is not splashing into the bucket and creating a whirlpool to distribute your priming sugar evenly, this can help avoid oxidation and get you even carbonation in all bottles. Cool video though

Helpful hint...you should not pour your beer into your bottling bucket from that height. Put the end of the siphon in the bucket bottom so it is not splashing into the bucket and creating a whirlpool to distribute your priming sugar evenly, this can help avoid oxidation and get you even carbonation in all bottles. Cool video though

Thanks for the tip.

Thanks for the link.

Nice blog, by the way. I think I gained a couple pounds just looking at the photos of your bacon, mac-n-cheese, and sausage combo!

Not as many as I gained by eating it. Actually, I can handle the calories but it's the fat and cholesterol I'm worried about. Lately I've had this strange tingling sensation in my left arm while my heart violently beats until I pass out for a while.... I usually just shrug it off, say to myself, "Relax, Don't Worry, Have Another Home Brew" but I think I should go to the doctor.... Ehh, we'll see how it plays out I guess....

Halfbrew - Awesome video! I was searching for someone doing 2.5 BIAB and coincidentally enough, found exactly what I was looking for. What are the sizes of the main kettle and the sparge kettle? Is the main kettle a tri-clad bottom? I currently do 5 and 10 gallon batches BIAB, switching to eBIAB soon, but I am looking for a way to experiment more without a large price tag. It seems $8 2.5 gallon BIAB batches are the way! Also, what size elements are on your stove top? I checked the power of mine and I have a 6"/9" burner that is pushing 2500W, which I would assume is strong enough, considering I am going to be use direct heat 5500W in my 20 gallon kettle.
Thanks again for the post. I don’t know why more people don’t believe in BIAB!?!? It is a great way to learn brewing at a fraction of the cost and supplies, but I guess I’m preaching to the choir.

Just wanted to post a follow up to my question. I ended up getting a thin 20 qt SS kettle from the local flea market for $25. Did a stove top BIAB batch this weekend. Mash held perfect for an hour with a towel wrapped around it. Unfortunately, I could not get the 3.8 gallons of liquid boiling on my stove top. Left it for 2 hours on there and only got up to 205* F. So threw it on the propane burner on very low and had a nice boil on it. Ended up with 1.052 OG when the expected OG was around 1.048. Good efficiency. Did a 152* mash, with a 170* 1/2 qt sparge, and a good bag squeeze. Usually don't sparge or squeeze, just do a drip collect, but this may have changed my mind! I am going to do my second stove-top/propane 2.5gallon BIAB on Wednesday with an Imperial Red IPA, OG expect to be 1.084. I will let you all know how it goes!

Back