Best prices on hops by the pound

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TnFarmer

Reaction score
Am starting to think about the 2012 hops harvest and I am wondering who has the best prices on pellets by the pound. I am looking for 5-10 pounds of a variety. I am also wondering if anyone knows who sells simcoe by the pound. Thanks in advance.
Erek

Farmhouse Brewing is where we get ours... They have some limits on things, so you cant get POUNDS of certain ones... Niko is great too. If you wants the "Hot" hops by the lb cheap, you will have to catch them on the day they get them in. Good Luck...
We bought about 14 lbs the first time and wished I ordered more. :)

I just bought pounds of 2012 magnum, nothern brewer and amarillo from Freshops.com.

The amarillo was the most expensive at $1.60/ounce and there is a 80 ounce limit.

When pellets are ready, I get them from hopsdirect.com.

Those are the two best places I've seen on hops by the pound.

I bought two pounds of simcoe from freshops.com last year, but they don't have the 2012 crop of simcoe listed yet.

Thanks for the info. I will probably wait till the 2012 pellets are ready and then check out those sites. My lhbs only has 1oz packs and they aren't much of a deal.

Thanks for the info. I will probably wait till the 2012 pellets are ready and then check out those sites. My lhbs only has 1oz packs and they aren't much of a deal.

Freshops only has whole (leaf) hops. They don't pelletize them.

Hopsdirect will have both, and currently have the whole hops for sale. Pellets will be coming soon.

If you wait too long, you won't be able to get the favorites.

I have lately been ordering from Jeff at yakimavalleyhops.com Great prices, selection and service! 1 lb and 1/2 available. 3 lbs ships for 5 bucks.

here is my latest order FYI...3 lbs shipped for $33.

Cascade1 Cascade Hops - (16 oz / 1 Pound)
1 $10.00 $10.00
Columbus1 Columbus Hops (16oz / 1 pound)
1 $8.00 $8.00
Nugget1 Nugget Hops (16oz / 1 pound)
1 $10.00 $10.00

Subtotal: $28.00
Tax: $0.00
Shipping Cost: $5.30
Grand Total: $33.30

I like hopsdirect for my bulk hop purchases although a local shop has started selling pounds at very competitive prices once you factor in shipping so I might start going that direction. Farmhouse sells in 4oz quantities if you need several varieties but not a whole pound of each.

I usually only use one or two hop varieties each year in all of my beers so I don't know the best place for some of the more desired hop varieties.

I have lately been ordering from Jeff at yakimavalleyhops.com Great prices, selection and service! 1 lb and 1/2 available. 3 lbs ships for 5 bucks.

here is my latest order FYI...3 lbs shipped for $33.

Cascade1 Cascade Hops - (16 oz / 1 Pound)
1 $10.00 $10.00
Columbus1 Columbus Hops (16oz / 1 pound)
1 $8.00 $8.00
Nugget1 Nugget Hops (16oz / 1 pound)
1 $10.00 $10.00

Those are really good prices.

I ordered from www.yakimavalleyhops.com. I got 7lbs (8 varieties total) for less than $80, including shipping. The shipping jumps every 3.5lbs, I think. He didn't have a huge variety available at the time, but the site says he'll have 30+ varities when the 2012 crop came in. Farmhouse has 4oz packs of hops I never knew existed. It's fantastic if you want to try something new.

If you're worried about freshness with 2011 hops, consider that more damage is going to be done by sitting on UPS trucks for 3-7 days than sitting vacuum-packed in a freezer for a year.

Back