Fig wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

connord

Reaction score
A co-worker has lots of figs, so after looking around this is what i came up with:

4lb figs
5c brown sugar
2c honey
3tsp acid blend
1tsp yeast nutrient
1pkg Montrachet wine yeast
1 campden tablet, crushed
water to make one gal

Chop figs, place in a nylon straining bag, tie off and place in primary. Add all other ingredients except yeast. Gravity should be 1.085 - 1.100 if not add more brown sugar. Cover and let sit 24 hours, add yeast. In 5 days check gravity if 1.04 or lower remove bag and let drain, rack liquor to secondary and add liquid drained from bag. Bottle in 3 months, let age 3 months longer is better.

This is my first attempt at wine, so suggestions are welcomed.

For those who have made this, does 4 lbs. of figs give the wine a full body, or would it benefit in having more? Obviously a subjective question. But, I have access to an unlimited supply of figs, so I would pick more if it would be worth it. Also, what kind of figs were you using? I have Black Mission.

This is the first wine I have made, so I'm not sure about the amount of figs. I would guess the more figs the better, you would just need to adjust the other sugars to hit your OG. As for the figs, I'm not sure what kind they were. I asked the guy I got them from and he had no idea.

Sorry, it's been a while since I've looked at this thread. I would have to say that the wine is not too bad. It is however a bit dry for my liking. If I did it again I would use more figs and no water, I think I would use white grape juice. Also I would back sweeten perhaps with more honey. I'll have another glass this weekend and think on it.

I made a fig mead and used fresh sweet California figs from COSTCO, used 3.5# per gallon and only had to use 2.5# honey to reach starting S.G. of 1.085. I destemmed and froze the figs to help concentrate the sugars even more. Figs when fully ripe are one of the sweetest fruits on the planet. It is light in body and I enjoy it dry, but also backsweetened some of it.
I will be quite happy when my fig trees start producing harvestable fruit next season, as I have been pinching all figlets for the last 2 years...container fig grower and I have 40+ different cultivars.

Back