1098 for American Amber / Pale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

petep1980

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I want to make a big batch of AAA or APA and I have a TON of 1098 I've cultured and I don't feel like spending another $15 on yeast for 1056 when I have an ale yeast at home.

It'll prob come out a little sweeter than the 1056 would, but is there any real reason I can't use it?

Just trying to be frugal.

I use London and British Ale yeast to do most of my AAA's and American Browns. I don't notice a huge difference.

Go ahead. 1098 isn't full of British character anyway. It's a pretty mild yeast as far as its flavor contributions go. I've used it for American style beers before a buncha times.

Not saying you shouldn't ferment at 65, but I've *never* fermented with it that cool. I've always used it around 68 and have had no estery notes. It's not a strong ester producer at all in my experience. Pretty neutral. It doesn't actually have a strong British character to it at all. At least not in my experience and I've used it a lot in the past. Mind you, I have not used it recently at all.

I used it twice recently. One I fermented right at 70-72 and I taste no estery notes at all. I'll ferment it at whatever temp my basement is at the time and not worry about it.

Back