Layer of oil on my Peanut Butter beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lowend

Reaction score
So, I brewed up a peanut butter beer about a month ago and I'm getting ready to bottle pretty soon. I did 2.5 gallons and it's currently sitting in my 6 gallon glass carboy and I've noticed a 1/3 inch thick layer of oil sitting at the top. In case you're wondering, I went through the whole de-oiling process with a jar of all natural peanut butter for about 2 months. I don't have a long enough turkey baster to remove the oil and I'm not sure how else to do it. Clearly, oil is bad and I don't want it in my beer. What should I do?

use pb2 dehydrated peanut butter next time...for now go get a syringe or something like that from cvs and use it to such up the oil. Odds are your going to have no head retention though

Since most of it is floating on top, why not carefully rack to another carboy to get it away. Your going to lose a bit of beer since you'll want to stop your siphon before the oil gets to the bottom.

+1 for not worrying until you rack to a bottling bucket or such. Just be careful to not disturb the oil layer and it will stay where it is. Rack off the beer below it with a siphon as you usually would and all should be good.

I agree, I'd rack under it to the bottling bucket, let it rest for ~ 10 minutes for any other oil to float to the top then bottle, mark the last few bottles to know not to give those away.

Back