What brand of bench capper is the best?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep, that's the one I got. No problems so far...much superior to the wing capper that comes with most starter kits.

I started out with the Super Agata bench capper... I then got a wing capper as a backup, and haven't used the bench capper since, except on a couple of troublesome bottles.

I got this for $14 off of Ebay earlier this week.

capper.jpg

I'm using Grandpa's old Prohibition-era bench capper, have the "Red Baron" wing capper that came with my kit as a backup. Both do fine, but the bench capper is a lot easier on my somewhat arthritic wrists than the wing capper. I'd be leery of how much plastic is in the structure of that Agata. Is the Colonna plastic? Ad doesn't say.

I have the Colonna bench capper model, without the corker feature.

It is all plastic, except for the handle shaft and the bell, and it is about as perfect as a capper can be!

Very light and easy to handle, doesn't need to be mounted to a surface, and any spills just rinse away.

I Gooogled Colonna cappers as part of the research I was doing in trying to decide on which capper to buy, and turned up a link to Santa Fe Brewery, a micro that has only, or had at that time, one Colonna capper that had capped over a million bottles of their beer with out a hick-up!!!

Never had to do any maintainance to it at all, except wipe it down with a damp cloth!:rockin:

Pogo

The Colonna is plastic, but it seems sturdier than most metal cappers I've seen. I'm really happy with it so far, and having the ability to cork my Belgians is quite nice.

Ahoy hoy,
I cannot remember the brand, but I found a nice metal made in USA model from the 30s on ebay for about 20 bucks. Indestructable, and fun to use. I have had nothing but bad luck with those cheap red plastic jobs. Your milage may vary....
A great day to all.

The Colonna is plastic, but it seems sturdier than most metal cappers I've seen.

While the Colonna is all plastic, the gear and the shaft are made out of Nylon. Which I suspect (but not positive) is Nylon 6/6 . The same material that we use to make gears in some machines. Very tough stuff.

Back