Brewday gone a rye . . .

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AnOldUR

fer-men-TAY-shuhn
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I was all set to brew something close to this https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f70/american-wheat-75279/ recipe when something must have snapped in my brain. Kept changing the ingredient list right up to the time the grains were ground. What started as a German Wheat went to an American Wheat and finally morphed into what may be considered a Rye IPA. Drained 5½ gallons of 1.071 wort into a 6 gallon carboy and went straight to a blow-off. The large slurry had krausen flowing out in less than 6 hours. Not sure what I’ve done. Didn’t get to bed until after 1:00am and been up since 5:00. But not all bad for a weekday after work brew session.

5 lbs Standard 2-row Pale / Rahr (USA)
5 lbs Pale Wheat / Weyermann (GER)
3 lbs Rye Malt/ Briess (USA)
2 lbs Flaked Rye / Oio (CAN)
2 oz Roasted Barley / Simpson’s (UK)
8 oz Tarbinado Sugar / Hain (USA)
1 lb Rice Hulls
.40 oz Warrior Hop Pellets Alpha 15.0% (FWH / 75 min)
.45 oz Centennial Hop Pellets Alpha 8.0% (60 min)
.09 oz Amarillo Hop Pellets Alpha 8.0% (15 min)
1.0 oz Amarillo Hop Pellets Alpha 8.0% (Flame-out)
slurry Wyeast 3333 German Wheat / 3rd Generation

Should be around 40IBU and 9SRM

BrewDay090303-2.jpg

That is what I call a classic photograph. It is the perfect blending of going over to my Aunts house that is tidy, my cousins house that has a ton of booze, my house that has beer brewing and then it all comes together with the doily under the fermenter and blowoff!

and now you put it in a ramican! Man my aunt makes a great creme brulee, you can make a malt flavored one. And the chair in the corner for putting their noses in the corner when they are bad. I am having a great day with all of these pictures!

Latest posts

Back