All-Grain tips

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DiscipleofDionysus

Reaction score
Hey all, a bit new to brewing (getting ready for my second brew in fact) and I was hoping I could get some pointers for an all grain brew. I got ingredients already for a Milk Stout and just had some questions before I got started. Do I need a blow-off tube? What's the easiest/optimal way to mash? How can I slap together a mash tun? Thanks, any help is appreciated. Amazing how quickly this has become such a strong passion for me

I would suggest you take advantage of the incredible amount of knowledge in threads and stickies on this forum and spend hours upon hours reading before you attempt all grain.

Take a look at some of the Stickies on the All Grain/ PM subforum. Did you purchase a kit or individual ingredients based on a recipe?
A blow-off tube isn't really dependent upon the sugar conversion process (extract, PM, AG), but rather the yeast, fermentation vessel size, and overall vigorousity of the fermentation. As for your tun, again to the AG subforum. Many choices here: round or square cooler, keggle, manifold (copper or CPVC) or stainless steel braid, direct-fire or not. A good thermometer, I use a dairy them, to accurately hit your strike and mash temps is critical to obtain the mouthfeel you're after.
Do you want to batch or fly sparge? That question really helps guide the rest of your decisions with regards to mash paraphernalia. Good luck! Kyle

DiscipleofDionysus said:
Hey all, a bit new to brewing (getting ready for my second brew in fact) and I was hoping I could get some pointers for an all grain brew. I got ingredients already for a Milk Stout and just had some questions before I got started. Do I need a blow-off tube? What's the easiest/optimal way to mash? How can I slap together a mash tun? Thanks, any help is appreciated. Amazing how quickly this has become such a strong passion for me

Unfortunately all your questions would require hours to answer, fortunately they've all been answered countless time but it will take some effort on your part to do some searching:)

Take advantage of each threads search function as well as Google, you will find 9 out of 10 times google turns up a thread from this site first.

The DIY section will get you your mash tun, blow off tubes are always a great idea unless you enjoy cleaning krausen off the ceiling, and you can also look up fly and batch sparging methods.

First I would suggest you read palmer's "How to Brew" cover to cover as well as the stickies at the top of each forum

+1 what others are saying. Check out some home brewing books and search the forum.

You might want to consider trying the brew in a bag method (BIAB). Like all-grain, you'll have a little more control than with extract brewing, but you won't have to worry about building a mash tun.

If you're set on putting together an AG system. The DIY and Equipment/Sanitation sections contain tons of info on building equipment.

I understand those who seem to be giving the "Read the Manual" type answers and they are right, however,...

You never realize you needed a blowoff hose until there is foam blown all over the nice carpet/vinyl/wood floor in the room where you ferment. You can start without one, but it is a good protection. I now start all fermentations with a blowoff and switch to a bubbler after the most vigorous time is over.

The easiest way to mash is Brew in a Bag, in which you do not use a lauter tun, but simply mash your grains inside a grain bag and lift it from the mash tun to drain the wort from the grains (do not confuse this with steeping grains). I've never used it but there are a ton of videos and guides to help.

The easiest way to make a MLT is to convert a cooler with one of the ball cock assemblies available some place like Northern Brewer. Then just add a Bazooka screen to the inside and your set. I have this set up with a ten gallon cooler and have used it for 18 pounds of grain in one mash. I'm getting ready to do one with it that will be over 20 pounds of grain and it should work without any problems.

There you go, and it didn't take much time.

As to the blow off tube. You don't need to use one if you don't mind washing krausen off your ceiling.

Always start every fermentation with a blowoff tube and you will save yourself the trouble.

As to the rest. As others have stated the answers are not that simple. You need to do some research and decide what will work for the type of brewing you will want to do.

Thanks everybody, realized about the other section and the stickies right after I posted, doh:cross: Good info!

Back