Can I use a 40amp SSR for 1500w element?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jd-santaclarita

Reaction score
I know its probably way overkill in terms of amps, but in short I am trying to whip together the makings of a very simplistic control box to drive a 3gal e-biab kettle. I have this ssr: http://www.auberins.com/index.php?m..._id=30&zenid=8abf8ac7d2925d9afa5c70acc81c22ec on hand along with the heatsink. I have a PID, probe and a plastic tool box, so I figured if I add in some terminal blocks, some salvaged extension cord wire and a 20amp gfci I could essentially stitch together a simple control box to power cycle on/off the 1500w element. I originally bought the 40amp ssr for plans on doing 5500w 220v setup, but I'm putting that on hold for the moment while I get back into the groove with the smaller batches since I have the kettle and parts to make it happen. Thoughts?

Thanks,
JD

My 4500w 240v element, hooked up to 120v, only draws 7 amps of current. I know that isn't your exact setup, but it's what I got. If you have a multimeter you can hook the element up to power and measure the amperage. It shouldn't be too much.

My 4500w 240v element, hooked up to 120v, only draws 7 amps of current. I know that isn't your exact setup, but it's what I got. If you have a multimeter you can hook the element up to power and measure the amperage. It shouldn't be too much.

What size brews are you ding with that set-up?

running an SSR at the max rated output will produce a LOT of heat. using an over rated SSR for the given load is going to produce less heat. plus it will allow you room to grow later. no problem at all.

Back