Co2 tank fill

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bigpete9000

Reaction score
Maybe some of the Arizona folk can give some ideas on were i can get my brand new c02 tank filled. I would rather not swap tanks since i just paid a good bit for this one. Looking in the phonebook there is Dye Carbonic but i think they just do wholesale. Iam in Tempe there are a few welding supply stores and a few paintball places are they ok to use ?? where do you guys go ? ive got a wheat beer begging to be carb'ed.

look in to fire extinguisher refill shops.

i normally just use welding supply shops, but all that i've gone to swap instead of fill. i buy used tanks anyway, so i don't mind.

fire extinguisher shop
welding supply house
liquor stores that have kegs

call in advance...many places won't fill your tank right away, you might have to come on a certain day, or leave it over night.

I paid a deposit on a cylinder so I just swap it.

Paintball places probably don't have the correct adapters. Welding shops are your best bet, but call ahead to ask if they fill or swap. I swapped my steel tanks (one 'new', one used) for aluminum & the shop was happy to get them. Some of their customers insist on steel.

gnef said:
look in to fire extinguisher refill shops.

i normally just use welding supply shops, but all that i've gone to swap instead of fill. i buy used tanks anyway, so i don't mind.

Beat me to it. I just had mine filled at a fire extinguisher shop for ten bucks. The last ime I went to Airgas, they charged me $22. Never again.

i forgot to mention one thing.

if you get your tank filled, ask them to weigh the tank again before you leave the shop, and compare it to the tare weight stamped on the neck. make SURE it is not overfilled. i've read a number of threads where the safety burst disc ruptured when the tank warmed up to room temp. when they fill tanks, some places will do a partial fill, then release all the gas to super chill the tank so you can get more in, and you can overfill when doing this.

this is another reason why i like swapping. usually the tank they give you has been outside for a while, so you don't have to worry as much about an overfill.

remember, liquified compressed gases are dangerous, always take proper precautions when handling the tanks. if you can, transport the tanks upright, and if they are inside the vehicle, make sure to have the windows at least partially opened.

Thanks for the help...Got it filled at a liqour store (Topps) and a bottle of ruination ipa all for $11

Now the issue is i have a small leak right were the regulator connects to the tank. i have the nylon washer on and have tightened the nut as far as i dare and its still leaking a bit...will some plumbers tape help seal it up ?

Bigpete9000 said:
Thanks for the help...Got it filled at a liqour store (Topps) and a bottle of ruination ipa all for $11

Now the issue is i have a small leak right were the regulator connects to the tank. i have the nylon washer on and have tightened the nut as far as i dare and its still leaking a bit...will some plumbers tape help seal it up ?

Teflon tape should fix the leak. Are the threads damaged at all? Make sure that it seats properly as you slowly tighten the nut.

Bernie Brewer said:
Beat me to it. I just had mine filled at a fire extinguisher shop for ten bucks. The last ime I went to Airgas, they charged me $22. Never again.

What place do you go to Bernie? Airgas is where I was going to got when I get my kegs next month.

P.S. Red Green Rules!

The guy over at the homebrew shop called What ales ya fills tanks. Hes on 63rd ave and bell road. I know thats a ways away from tempe. But call him first before heading over there. He runs out fast.

Back