pitching temp too high

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

befus

Reaction score
Hi all-Been brewing a long while (20 years+), but took about six years off, and recently decided to get back into home brewing. Here is my question, I did a partial mash brew and decided to use dry yeast for the first brew after the lay off. I was not paying close enough attention and pitched in Cooper's dry ale yeast when the temp of the wort was in the mid 80's. Not seeing a lot of flocculation. Think I killed the yeast? :confused:

Guess it depends how long ago you pitched. Mid 80s probably didn't kill the yeast, at least not all of it. If it's only been a day, I wouldn't worry. A couple of days....I'd repitch.

I may have done this same thing yesterday 5 pm ish. Just getting a few white culture spots on top on my European Lager mix and not a lot of ferment activity as of yet. Should I wait another day? If so and still not much activity, am I able to add another pouch of dry yeast (I am using ale yeast at ale temperatures since I am not able to do a lager yeast at lager temps). I am doing this batch in my carboy so I can rightly see what is going on. TIA

Yeah, you re-hydrate around 90, so no problems at all.

Well who knows. It has been 3 1/2 days and not apparent fermentation at all.....nothing. I only had a single small pack of yeast on hand from a Mr. Beer kit I bought on closeout and I tossed it in. Off to deer hunt over the weekend, so we'll see what we will see on my return Sunday night. Very frustrating. :mad:

Any word on if the fermentation kicked off?

yes it did. not only took off but went down to 1.008. Don't know about ill effects yet. Will pbobably pop a bottle in the fridge and take a taste drive this weekend.

Back