Help with recipe formulation - bananas and brown sugar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rhern053

Reaction score
My girlfriend's grandfather brought some "bien me save" from Nicaragua and I thought about making a beer with some of it's subtle flavor. Bien me save is a very simple snack. It's fried green plantains sliced thin (the size of those crispy potato sticks that look like french fries) tossed in a pan with brown sugar until the sugar melts and coats the plantains. Cooled and eaten at room temperature. It's sweet, tangy, and dry.

I'm pretty sure I am just going to use brown sugar as some extra fermentables to add a general presence, but am not sure how to introduce plantains (or bananas).

I read about making banana beer, which involves actually mashing bananas like one would grain. It's apparently big in Africa. I'd rather go with a simpler way of intoducing bananas/plantains, and would still like to mash just barley.

Anybody have experience with

1 - making banana beer?

2 - making beer to complement/resemble foods?

Thanks ahead of time for your ideas. And if you know of any interesting central american spices that would go well let me know!

Back