Question bout an IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am making my first IPA. I'm new obviously, so I'm doing an all extract version and only making 2 gallons. My question is hopping ratios. I'd like to know if the recipe I'm using is appropriate for an IPA. Heres what I'm going with...

2 1/2 lbs pale extract
1 1/4 lbs amber extract
1 oz Gelena Hops (60min)
1/2 oz Kent Goldings Hops (20min)
1/4 oz Kent Goldings Hops (5min)
Wyeast 1056

Any help would be much appreciated!

Here's my suggestion - make 5 gallons! (two will go MIGHT quick).

What most of us extract guys do is boil only 2-3 gallons, but we're boiling a concentrated wort. After it's been cooled, we add it to the fermenter and top off with more water to get our 5.0 - 5.5 gallon batch. Boiling ALL of your wort is only critical if you are doing an all-grain beer. You'll be going to basically all the trouble of doing a 5 gallon batch, but getting 40% of the output. As long as you have a 6.5 gallon or so bucket or carboy, there's really nothing extra that you need to make a full five gallon batch.

Plus, most extract recipes that you find are written this way.

This was my last batch, an IPA.
I was surprised that although it's very good as far as beer goes, I wouldn't consider it an IPA. It's low in alcohol and not bitter at all. Put it this way, my wife says it's very drinkable:D Still a good beer though.
I chalk it up to being only my second brew. Maybe I can work the ingredients for all they're worth next time. A little more lovin' and caressing ;)

Tommy

(5 Gal)
4 lb. Alexanders Pale Malt Extract
3 ½ lb. Bierkeller Light Malt Extract
½ lb. Weyermann Munich Malt 6° L
½ lb. Durst Crystal Malt 40° L
½ lb. Weyermann Caramunich III 70° L
½ lb. Muntons Carapils 20° L
2 oz. Perle Hops (Bittering).........60 min
1 oz. Cascade Hops (Flavoring).... added at 45 min
1 oz. Tettnang Hops (Flavoring).... added at 45min
2 oz. Cascade Hops (Finishing)...added at 55 min