carrying carboy up stairs...bad?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pelican521

Reaction score
Hey guys, my IPA is in my secondary, and after 5 days (or so) of dry hopping, I plan on cold crashing at 32 degrees for a day and then bottle.

The problem is, my fermenting chamber (my spare fridge) is in my garage and I'll need to carry my glass carboy up a flight of stairs to my kitchen so I can bottle since my garage isn't very "sanitary" for bottling.

Am I going to stir everything up carrying it upstairs?

You should also use something to carry the carboy in. Like a plastic milk crate,or a carboy carrier. They're just plain,untempered glass & break easilly. Be careful!!

You should also use something to carry the carboy in. Like a plastic milk crate,or a carboy carrier. They're just plain,untempered glass & break easilly. Be careful!!

If you don't have any of these items for carrying it, most of us have boiling pots with handles that are big enough to put the carboy in for carrying it.

I would cold crash it for more than a day. Personally, I always cold crash for about a week to get it crystal clear. It's nice to have as little sediment in the bottles as possible.

I have a similar issue when bottling. My cold crash/lagering freezer is in the basement. I like to bottle over an open dishwasher in the kitchen.

The approach I've taken is to 1) cold crash 4-5 days at 35*F to clear + get that yeast/trub cake firm, 2) rack into the bottling bucket while still downstairs, 3) cover the bottling bucket and carefully carry it up to the kitchen counter.

I have a similar issue when bottling. My cold crash/lagering freezer is in the basement. I like to bottle over an open dishwasher in the kitchen.

The approach I've taken is to 1) cold crash 4-5 days at 35*F to clear + get that yeast/trub cake firm, 2) rack into the bottling bucket while still downstairs, 3) cover the bottling bucket and carefully carry it up to the kitchen counter.

I like the idea of crashing until the trub/yeast cake compacts really firm. I was going to bottle my Sweet Stout this weekend, but have never cold crashed my carboys. I think I will give it a go and bottle next week.

Only question I have is about the yeast in suspension. If I cold crash, will I need to add yeast when I bottle?

I never have after cold crashing. It will just take a little bit longer to carb as you have less yeast in the bottle.

I always thought that yeast was always going to be in the beer (even if you can't see it) unless you pasturise it.

I could be wrong but it has never effected my bottled brews. I might say that I primarily keg so my bottles are usually 6 or 7 from a batch and are left for 6 months or so before drinking.

I have to do this regularly. Just cold crash then carry it up. Let it sit where you'll siphon it from for a few hours after. The residual coldness will send everything back down

I have to do this regularly. Just cold crash then carry it up. Let it sit where you'll siphon it from for a few hours after. The residual coldness will send everything back down

I tried once and it sloshed everything so badly that when it all settled back down it wasn't clear.

Towards the end of the siphon it can be a little mixed. Doesn't bother me too much. I mark those bottles and make sure they get 72hrs in the fridge before opening. By then it's crystal clear

Only question I have is about the yeast in suspension. If I cold crash, will I need to add yeast when I bottle?

No. You'll have plenty of yeast present to handle carbonation even after cold crashing.

Thanks for the replies, it's good to know I'm not alone...

My plan is to bottle next weekend, how will cold crashing affect the dry hopping schedule?

Is the dry hopping not as effective in the low temps?

Back